RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Soliciting Website Help

Author Topic: Soliciting Website Help
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I want to thank everyone who responded to my "Which ones were the BEST?" thread in September; your feedback was really helpful.

My website is slowly beginning to take shape; currently I'm working on "Track 2" for the Atlantic seaboard and Florida service. The specific timetables I'm preparing are the Silver Star, Apr 1971; the Champion, Apr 1971 and Jun 1941; the City of Miami and South Wind from Apr 1971 and Jun 1941; and the Dixie Flagler from Jun 1941.

You may note a certain sameness in the dates; my initial plan of attack was to start with the last timetable before A-day or cancellation, whichever applied, then the first timetable I had available in my collection, and then fill in the middle whenever I had the opportunity. While I would still like to document the various trains from inception to demise, the sheer size of the task prompts me to seek help.

I would appreciate it if some of our knowledgeable members here could help me out by nominating trains which give a good cross-section of coverage in the various regions and especially by identifying "key points" in the life cycle of those trains (inception, re-equipping, last timetable before a service downgrade, etc.) so as to help me get the most "bang" for the effort I'm putting into this.

Some basics: The name of the site is "Streamliner Schedules"; while I do hope to eventually have some coverage of the pre-streamlined heavyweight and 19th century eras my main focus is the streamliner era from 1934 to 1971. I have to work around the Official Guides I have available; those are May 1936, Sept. 1938, Dec. 1941, Jan. 1946, Sept. 1947, and then from 1950 through 1971 I have at least one Guide from each year except 1951 and 1953.

Currently I solicit your input for the next two areas of the site I plan to work on: the Midwest, which I roughly define as everything between Ohio and Kansas (inclusive) and north to the Canadian border; and the Canada and Alaska page. While my prime focus at the moment is getting the now-blank sections of the site opened up, I am still interested in filling out the "tracks" which are already on line; you may also submit nominations for those sections if you understand that it might be a while before I can get around to working on them. Note: Track 5 (Best of the Best) is closed to new train nominations (I'm satisfied with the current list), but nominations of specific timetables (dates) are still welcome.

To be most helpful, please give your specific reasons for recommending a particular train and/or date; I can work those reasons into my "editorial comments". Also, it would be a help if you can rank your nominations on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is, "nice to add if you have nothing better to do," and 10 is, "you can't possibly overlook this one if you're even half serious."

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds for your time and trouble.

(Note: I plan to put this same message on Railfan.net)

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, I just finished going through your web site. Super job.It is fascinating,interesting and very well put together. It is also very easy to follow. As you can tell I really enjoyed it. It brought back many great memories. Thanks
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page