RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » where to stay in oregon

Author Topic: where to stay in oregon
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a question I asked in another strand got lost in the shuffle: I plan to catch a Cascades train down from Seattle to Oregon and overnight before taking the Coast Starlight. Having been to Portland already, I have two places I'm interested in stopping: Salem or Eugene. I want to overnight in a place with relatively inexpensive but nice, safe, clean hotel accommodations near the train where there is something to see, or some nice walking I can do, nearby (i.e., I don't want to stop in a place where the train station is miles and miles from the downtown). Salem interests me because it is the capital; I'd like to tour the capitol and maybe see the museum nearby. Eugene interests me because it is a college town said to be fairly attractive, which the American Podiatry Association named one of the ten best walking cities in the US. But I can stop only in one. Which do you suggest?

Thanks for your input

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in May I stopped in Eugene for a short visit and enjoyed it. The nicely redone Amtrak station is right next to downtown, where there are lots of shops and restaurants. The Univ. of Oregon campus is beautiful and maybe a 1/2 mile away from downtown. There is a larger nice hotel right downtown and several smaller motel type operations nearby as well. Here is a link to a trip report with some pictures of the Eugene station. www.geocities.com/coachseatstoo/eugtrip

--------------------
Coachseats
www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been a long time since I stayed in Salem, Sojourner. My AAA tour book lists several motels which are 3 diamond & reasonably priced..the Best Western Mill Creek Inn, Best Western New Kings Inn, Best Western Pacific Highway Inn, and Phoenix Inns, North and South Salem. I took a tour of the capital which was fun and interesting. I liked the older, downtown area of Salem more than the newer areas in the outskirst. I can't remember, but I believe few motels are within walking distance of the Amtrak station.

With regard to Eugene, I like the outskirts of the city more than downtown Eugene. Also Springfield offers some nice lodging. I think I once stayed at the Hampton Inn, on Beltline, which was resonably priced and a 3 diamond rating. The Red Lion isn't too bad in price and also a good place for dinner.
If you want to splurge, my favorite is the Valley River Inn in north Eugene. It has a lot of walking and bicycle trails along the Willamette River and a beautiful location. Pricey, however. From what I recall, there may be one motel within walking distance of the Amtrak station...not the ones I've listed, however.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I visit Salem regularly, since my mother lives there. When I lived there 22 years ago it was a cultural wasteland. But times change, and there is a fair amount to see nowdays.

The state capitol is the nation's only art deco capitol building. So it is definitely worth a look. The grounds are quite attractive, too. Its within walking distance of the train station on the north side of Willamette University campus. Willamette University is right across the street from the train station.

Downtown has a lot of good shopping, if you're into that.

Downtown also has a restored 1926 movie palace, the Elsinore Theater which is now a performing arts center. I worked there in the late '70s and early '80s as a manager when it was a movie theater. It is the only tudor gothic movie palace in the country, as far as I know. I have fond memories of the place.

On the west side of downtown is the riverfront park. Among its attractions are a wonderful hand made carousel. At the other end is the A.C. Gilbert toy museum. Gilbert was a Salem resident who invented the erector set and American Flyer trains. And there is a riverboat which hosts lunch and dinner cruises.

Immmediately south of downtown Salem in the civic center is the city's large and impressive library.

A few blocks south of downtown on High Street is Bush's Pasture Park, which includes a rose garden, an art gallery, and a beautiful old farm house. A great place for strolling.

The Phoenix Grand Hotel is right downtown. Not within walking distance of the station, but a short cab ride. Its not quite cheap, but is reasonable.

Restaurants are a bit problematic. The town is sorely lacking in dining opportunities, fine or otherwise. We had a good meal and good service a few weeks ago at Rudy's a couple miles southeast of downtown along River Road, at the Salem Golf CLub. BNSF tracks run right through the parking lot.

Dessert, however, can be taken care of wonderfully at Gerry Frank's Konditorei

26 miles east of Salem is Silver Falls State Park famous for a series of spectacular waterfalls in a lush forest. Its hard to see them all, but the largest one is easily accessible.

The Evergreen Aviation Museum is located in the town of McMinville, about 30-45 minutes to the northwest. It is the home of Howard Hughes' flying boat, better known as the Spruce Goose

The Oregon coast is an hour drive to the west.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting stuff with regard to Alfred C. Gilbert. I did not know much about the gentleman, including the fact he was from Salem. I went to a few web sites for more information. I did not know that he was quite an athlete and won the pole-vault competition at the 1908 olympics.

http://www.acgilbertheritagesociety.com/

Gilbert touched my life, as a boy growing up, with at least 3 of his products: The Erector Set, when I was very young. The American Flyer train set with Pennsylvania RR #300 locomotive..complete with little gelatin smoke pellets.

And, probably most of all, his Gilbert Chemistry set, which I acquired as a hand-me-down from a neighborhood boy. I wonder if they could offer such these days, with potential law suits from hazardous waste spillage, fires, burns from the little alcohol bunson burner, accidental ingestion, etc. Do they still make chemistry sets?..if so, I imagine the chemicals are fairly benign.

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much, everyone, for the info. Assuming the capitol will be open (I have to check), I've decided on Salem after all this lovely input . . . and also would get in a little earlier in the day, which is always easier for me.

Mr Toy, do you know anything about the Travelodge downtown? The price is incredibly cheap, and most of the posters at www.tripadvisor.com seem to think it's okay. It's near the Capitol and train station, and I don't mind something less than gorgeous for one night only, provided it is safe. In fact, the price is so low, I might be able to go to Salem AND Eugene, provided I can take one more day on a (long) trip.

Thanks again.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two bad experiences staying in older motels that were in a central city area. In a Motel 6 in Albuquerque we heard gunshots in the parking lot, and in Colorado Springs a local broke a window in a domestic fight and the police were called in the wee hours.

This is compared to dozens of times a cheap place downtown turned out to be just wonderful and safe. AAA books will tell you whether rooms are accessable through the lobby or from the outside. For safety it is best to go for places where everyone has to pass a lobby desk to get to a room. It also protects you from loud parties of local teens, who like to use rooms with doors to the outside.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page