RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Great American Stations

Author Topic: Great American Stations
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.greatamericanstations.com/

great site. I ordered some of the free posters and brochures from the site as well. Not sure what kind of quality they are.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a worthy endeavor (although I have to admit that it will be hard to surpass the much-admired Amtrak station web site created by "that Japanese guy.")

Then again, I would hope that a site called "Great American Stations" won't limit itself solely to structures served by Amtrak. Many commuter rail lines across the country have truly beautiful historic stations of their own (The old Texas & Pacific station in Fort Worth and Hoboken Terminal across the Hudson from Manhattan are two that immediately come to mind).

-------------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The character of a town can be seen in how it treats its railroad station."

Many of America's castles continue to stand proudly even after the trains have left, Cheyenne Wyomings Union Station has been restored and thrives, Providence RI Union Station is today the center piece of the citys revitelization. Others have become Musuems or Apartments, some with downsized train areas others are no longer stations. I still hope that those two Grand American Ruins the Buffalo Central and Michigan Central Stations can find a second life.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page