RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Discussing Southwest Chief reroute with BNSF (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Amtrak Discussing Southwest Chief reroute with BNSF
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once you mention the word "bus" you won't see people for dust - or rather, the exhaust fumes from their cars.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be departing today on #3 from Chicago, headed for Los Angeles. Looking forward to the very scenic climb up to Raton Pass. Always love to see the old Santa Fe Trail on the Wootton Ranch. Not all rail travelers care about scenery, but I believe that it is an important consideration for a high percentage of riders on the long distance trains. Rerouting is more likely to reduce ridership than increase it. How many people would want to ride the Zephyr, if it was permanently routed through Wyoming ? When I want fast, efficient travel, I fly.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RussM:
When I want fast, efficient travel, I fly.

Flying is generally fast but that experience can sometimes be somewhat deficient......

Seriously though - yes, scenery is a consideration. I would make the effort to ride the California Zephyr far less often if it went through Wyoming...... though I do find that ride fascinating as well.

Put another way - I have flown several times from my home to the west coast in order to ride the Coast Starlight. If I lived in Sacramento it is very unlikely that I would fly to RDU in order to catch the Silver Star.

Scenery matters.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lamy is a factor that should not be overlooked. A center for tourism, government and history, Santa Fe is likely one of the top vacation destinations on the western LD system. On the one side, we would hate to lose that beautiful Lamy station and the jobs involved staffing it and providing transportation into Santa Fe. On the other, connecting service from Belen would be right into downtown Santa Fe (and Lamy would lose considerable activity).
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will mention this once more.

Following the recent washouts near Las Vegas Amtrak was quoted about maintainance on the Raton line - " send us the bill". And this was not just to repair the washouts it referred to continued operations. Until we hear differently I am assuming Amtrak is committed to the Raton line.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRCHINA:
I will mention this once more.

Following the recent washouts near Las Vegas Amtrak was quoted about maintainance on the Raton line - " send us the bill". And this was not just to repair the washouts it referred to continued operations. Until we hear differently I am assuming Amtrak is committed to the Raton line.

Valid point -

I think that an issue coming soon will be whether Amtrak can find a reliable partner (New Mexico DOT perhaps) to help shoulder the burden and rising expense of maintaining the Raton Line. I can't imagine Amtrak bearing that expense alone forever.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking as a taxpayer, with my Congressman sitting the House Transportation Committee...

We have limited dollars. AMTRAK has limited dollars. If Mr Buffett's Railroad is willing to slot Amtrak onto the Transcon, and there's no fee for it, then I would assume Amtrak would take the economic solution and go that way.

If not, I will encourage my Congresscritter to put a restriction on the FY 12 DOT operating grant to Amtrak that no Federal funds be used for maintenance to passenger speeds of the historic ATSF route.

If we're running this train solely for the scenery, folks, it's time to hang the Adios drumhead. LD trains have one purpose: Get votes for the NEC and the other services. Unless and until US energy policy makes LD rail a viable alternative vice auto or air, 1 a day is not a primary transportation service.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@RussM: I was a child going to Grandma and Grandpa's on the Overland Route. I happen to enjoy the scenery of UP from Ogden to Denver!

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let it not get lost that this is a thread started in 2002. Very old news - if indeed it ever was really news.
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page