RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SWC 3(21)

Author Topic: SWC 3(21)
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I awoke this AM,12-23, at the La Posada in Winslow and 3(21) was setting in front of the depot with no crew in Locomotive 137, the only power on the train. It had apparently been there since arriving sometime in the night.

Scuttlebutt at the hotel was that BNSF had a derailment somewhere but no details. However freight traffic was hardly visable or heard from on my scanner which ordinarilly would support the derailment stoty. But when leaving about 10:00 AM I overhear 4(22) talking to DS 10 in Ft. Worth so it must have been nearby.

Anyone have info about all this??? [Confused]

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to hear more about the La Posada. It is squarely on my 'wish list' of places to stay the next time I get to the southwest!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a derailment east of Barstow. Both mains were blocked. Amtrak operated a bus bridge between #4 and #3.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, yes by all means stay at the La Posada. It is wonderful and so authentically restored. Unlike the hotels of today Mary Coulter designed lots of public space and it remains. Public space means a location to relax and not a space devoted to revenue enhancement. No phones in the restored rooms but all have a television. The restaurant is open for three meals each day and the food is excellent.

Paul, now it makes sense. #3 was turned around and was to depart easterly as #4. I was somewhat astonished to find only one locomotive though. Is that sufficient to handle Glorieta and Raton passes?

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the BNSF website:

To: All Impacted Customers

12/23/2006

Derailment - Hector, CA

At approximately 2:30 p.m. PT Friday, December 22, 2006, train S LPCLHA1 19 derailed twelve cars blocking both main tracks at Hector, CA. This location is approximately 33 miles east of Barstow, CA.

Currently, there is no projected time of opening set for either main track. BNSF and contract personnel are on site clearing debris and assessing damages. You will receive further updates as they become available.

Customers may experience delays between 24 to 36 hours on traffic moving through this corridor.

I can't imagine being bussed between LA and Winslow. I think I would walk.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRCHINA:

Paul, now it makes sense. #3 was turned around and was to depart easterly as #4. I was somewhat astonished to find only one locomotive though. Is that sufficient to handle Glorieta and Raton passes?

They might have sent the rest of the power back to ABQ, or elsewhere in the Winslow yard for servicing and hooked it back up there. BNSF made a new policy that the Chief had to operate with an extra unit (2 is standard, they usually want 3) because they were tired of the train breaking down along the line and having no extra motive power. Hope all the passengers make it home safely for the holidays!
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this interesting Chief info.

One loco on the Chief means the others were obviously taken off somewhere, with 137 providing HEP for the train. They likely were in the Winslow yard getting fuelled up since they were sitting there all night. I'm pretty sure Winslow is a fuel stop for the BNSF with a NASCAR style "pit stop" refueling center. It is definitely a crew change stop.

David,
The La Posada is a wonderful place to stay. I've been there three times and it is a treat every time. One of the best reasons to stay there is the Turquoise Room. This restaurant offers excellent southwestern cuisine. Who can beat eating great food in an original Harvey House!

One word of advice though, as much as I like trains, it was a mistake to request a room right on the tracks (think it was the Amelia Earhart room). It was great during the day time to look out the window and see all the action, but all that action kept me up at night. And a very late #3 made an awful racket at 2:00 AM. Those P42's sure make a lot of noise ideling. Psssh, chhhhs, drrrrddrdrdr, wahpoosh, and other interesting sounds [Wink]

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't they give passengers the option of staying and eating at the La Posada on Amtrak's tab until the line is cleared (lol)?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SW Chief, I am astonished that you did not appreciate the WINSLOW PHILHARMONIC. And we must think how relaxing it must have been in the days of steam engines.

One mans music is anothers headache.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page