RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Anybody hear when Los Angeles to Las Vegas service by train will be re-instated?

Author Topic: Anybody hear when Los Angeles to Las Vegas service by train will be re-instated?
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody hear when Los Angeles to Las Vegas service by train will be re-instated?
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been discussed at length both here and other places. It is not going ot happen without major investment in track capacity. I do not think this is very high on California's list of priorities. You also run directly into the need to be running on the tracks of UP, and we all know how enthusiastic they are about keeping passenger trains on time. then there is the fact that the demand seems to be well satisfied by low fare air service and for the truly low cost trip almost nose to tail "charter" bus service.

The short answer is most likely on the 31st of February at some unknown year in the future.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl
Member # 227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the TRAC 2006 conference in Oakland (trainweb.org/carl/TRAC2006 (Part 2 of 3)Will Kempton, Director, California Department of Transportation, said there "was talk of a 'Desert Wind' train from Vegas to Victorville (don't ask) You might get better information from Bill Bronte, Chief, Division of Rail for CalTrans (bill_bronte@dot.ca.gov). Let me know what you hear.
Posts: 10 | From: Placentia,CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that Cajon is being triple tracked, there might be a better chance to finally get this thing off the ground.

I remember in college I would always get asked (as they knew I was the train guy), why can't I take a train like the Surfliner to Vegas? There is a big demand for this with the just turned 21 crowd. A lot of people I've talked to don’t like flying to Vegas. And they absolutely hate to drive there.

Amtrak sure was foolish to drop the Desert Wind when they did...the #1 tourist destination Vegas we know of today was just starting to boom. But then again, who wants to go to Salt Lake City by train.

Oh and perhaps the best new thing to get a Vegas train off the ground is the new pres for Amtrak....he was a UP guy!!!

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delvyrails
Member # 4205

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for delvyrails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of people don't like flying. According to one report I've seen, one quarter of the U.S. population does not fly at all.

It's lack of sufficient capacity on the Los Angeles & Salt Lake northeast of Barstow, rather than Cajon, that's the bugaboo.

--------------------
John Pawson

Posts: 137 | From: Willow Grove, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I trust UP's word completely any time they use the term insufficient capacity. For example, UP has made the capacity arguement against extending service south and east of Bakersfield over the Tehachapi's. I personally-question the claim since most of the line is double and triple tracked once you pass though the loop. Maybe someone with more expertise can put my paranoia to rest as to UP's credibility in making capacity statements.

I know I may be a bit off topic and I'm sorry.

But, one reason not to fly to Vegas is McCarren. It's not a very inviting airport in my opinion. While Amtrak would drop you right in the heart of the action.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Once you pass through the Loop."

The Loop was, is, and will be a CAPACITY LIMITING FEATURE. It does not matter WHO OWNS the track.

It was that way in the 60s, when I was a kid in LA; it is that way now.

As to Barstow-LV, IIRC there's an issue to expanding capacity: LA&SL crossing the desert hits the habitat of an endangered species.

Anyone for tickets to watch a fight between the environmental lobby and the rail lobby, and ditto between FRA and EPA? I'm betting on EPA myself.

BTW, while UP had at one point 3 daily services to Las Vegas (in the Streamliner era), by A-Day it was ... 1 train a day. Anyone thinking of LA-LV needs to:
- Add capacity sufficient to matter!
- Price it competitive with auto and air.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page