RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Good grief Sunset

Author Topic: Good grief Sunset
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunset running 17 minutes late out of Houston. Arrived 1:20 minutes late in Beaumont. Sat at Beaumont for another 1:30 minutes until I left. As far as I know, it could still be sitting there. What's the deal? Double tracking?
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP didn't expect the Sunset until tomorrow?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak is not updating the website. How am I suppose to track the train so someone can meet my relatives for pick up.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe its the directional running that UP does. They make the eastbound Sunset use a different route than the westbound and it requires a backup move out of houston to reach the alternate route. I don't know if they are still doing this but that could explain why #2 always losses about an hour between Houston and Beaumont. And the other half hour is just normal UP dispatching.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
The back up is only about 50ft.
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I leave LAX for Fort Worth tomorrow and will be in the through Sleeper . I will get off at all main stops so if you want to meet me like in El Paso I will be there.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Why not just put a GPS on the train that reports automatically a location on a web map.
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever notice the white dome-shaped device on the roof of the P42s between the air inlet covers and the exhaust stack/marshmallow roaster?
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page