RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Need advice

Author Topic: Need advice
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one wished to take a short (2 overnights with economy sleeper) trip on Amtrak with the only available departure from DeLand, Fla., what would be best (round trip). Thanks.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under these conditions I'd be tempted to take the Silver Meteor up to Washington and then return on the Silver Star.......

But I'd also consider a morning flight from Orlando (or Sanford) to Chicago Midway and then take either the Capitol or Cardinal east to a connection with the Silver Meteor back to DeLand.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dixiebreeze, you're practically my neighbor. Without a connection at Jacksonville to the Sunset Limited, there are not too many options out of Deland. Here are a couple of possibilities:

NEWPORT NEWS, VA -

Lv. Deland on #92 5:38pm
Ar. Richmond 9:18am

Lv. Richmond on #67 9:45am
Ar. Newport News 11:50am

Lv. Newport News on #66 4:20pm
Ar. Richmond 5:55pm

Lv. Richmond on #97 9:50pm
Ar. Deland 11:44am

CHARLOTTE, NC -

Lv. Deland on #92 5:38pm
Ar. Raleigh 5:40am

Lv. Raleigh on #73 7:05am
Ar. Charlotte 10:14am

Lv. Charlotte on #74 5:30pm
Ar. Raleigh 8:40pm

Lv. Raleigh on #91 9:13pm
Ar. Deland 9:07am

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two days isn't much time for such a long trip; I think you will be exhausted. Why not take an extra day or two? You only live once. . . .

For example, you could do the same as Ocala Mike recommends but visit Williamsburg. They have an inexpensive on-premises motel that is esp inexpensive off season.

Or you might visit Baltimore or Philly. We enjoyed staying there last fall, and found a good inexpensive hotel centrally located, that I can recommend.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Mike's second option, if you enjoy looking at vintage trains as much as you enjoy riding Amtrak, you might consider spending the day at the North Carolina Transportation Museum located a short distance from the Amtrak station in Salisbury, NC.....that's about 45 minutes north of Charlotte.

Some ideas of possible daytrips using North Carolina's trains 73 and 74 can be found at this website - NC DOT passenger train information

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Ocala Mike, we are neighbors. I live just 40 minutes from you. I like the Charlotte recommendation for a short trip. I actually don't want to leave the train, just relax and sightsee from aboard.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with sojourner on this. Visit Williamsburg if you want a peaceful and interesting interlude between trains. IIRC the station is fairly close.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dixiebreeze:
I like the Charlotte recommendation for a short trip.

If you do go to Charlotte, it is WELL worth your while to visit downtown. I lived just north of there in SALISBURY for 17 years and worked in Charlotte for 10 years.

For Charlotte, after you get off the train take a taxi (readily available, 5-7$) or cross very busy Tryon Street (safely) and catch the bus (#11) towards downtown for $1.10. The bus takes 7 minutes. Ask the bus driver to let you off in front of DISCOVERY PLACE, a WONDERFUL place to spend some time.

http://www.discoveryplace.org/home/discovery_place-contact.asp

Go into the 70-story Bank of America world headquarters building and see the giant murals in the lobby. Just a block or two away is the MINT MUSEUM OF CRAFT AND DESIGN, also a very wonderful place to visit.

http://www.themintmuseums.org/general_info.php

At the corners of Trade and Tryon (the center of downtown Charlotte) are 4 wonderful statues, one on each corner.

Walk down to 'The Green' (a wimsical outdoor park with fountains and benches, poetry and signs) about 4-5 blocks from Discovery Place and eat wonderful Chicago-style hot dogs at MATTS CHICAGO DOGS or fantastic pizza at FUEL PIZZA. RI-RA (downtown) is a great and friendly Irish Pub.

http://www.rira.com/locations/charlotte/

Downtown Charotte offer s FREE Gold Rush trolley with several different routes to get around and explore.

http://www.charlottetrip.com/goldrush.htm

Get back to the train station at least 35-45 minutes before your departure, not a problem by catching another bus from the very large Charlotrte Transportation Center near the Charlotte Arena or a taxi from in front of one of the many downtown luxury hotels.

The NB PIEDMONT out of Charlotte is a very comfortable and nice train, offering a FREE snack and soft drink/juice for your journey back to Raleigh. It boards about 20 minutes before departure and never leaves late.

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page