RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Mobility Scooter on the train

Author Topic: Mobility Scooter on the train
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some mobility issues and use a battery powered scooter whenever extensive walking is involved. I won't need my scooter on the train and I don't require an accessible room. Will I be able to bring my scooter on the train (as checked baggage or otherwise) so that I will have it for use when I reach my destination?

I can't find anything on amtrak.com regarding scooters.

Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why you couldn't check it as baggage. You can check bicycles as baggage. The difficult part will be getting it into the baggage car. I don't know if the lifts they use for mobility impaired people will go up to the height of the baggage car entrance.

Best bet is to call and also check to see if your local station and the one where you're going have lifts.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if I understand how they load the baggage car. They use a lift? I can't picture how this works. The scooter isn't heavy-my husband puts it in and out of the trunk all the time.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The entrance to the baggage car is probably wiast high or a little higher. Normally the station agent can hand the baggage to the person in the car. Many stations have lifts for mobility impaired people so they can get in the cars. The entrance to the cars, however, is much lower than the entrance to the baggage cars, and the lifts may only go high enough for the passenger entrances.

Anyway, check with Amtrak and the local station agents and see what they say.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kiernan:
The entrance to the baggage car is probably wiast high or a little higher. . . . The entrance to the cars, however, is much lower than the entrance to the baggage cars, . . .

This statement would be true for trains with superliners plus a normal baggage car, but is not true for single level equipment. For these, the passenger car floor and baggage car floor are at the same elevation.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just talked to Amtrak. She made a notation on my reservation that I want to check the scooter as baggage and I'm all set.
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also do not understand what is being said about the baggage car. Why would a lift be needed? The scooter gets loaded on like any other suitcase. This has nothing to do with loading passengers.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a lift was mentioned because the scooter might be too heavy to load into the baggage car when compared to a suitcase. But from what Vicki says, it doesn't appear to be heavy.

Vicki, what stations are you using? Many do not offer checked baggage.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Leaving from Chicago and going to New Orleans. The scooter is definitely heavier than a suitcase but my husband can put it in the back of his pick up without any problem. it also breaks down into more manageable pieces if needed. The battery seems to be the heaviest part at 25#.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page