RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » stopover in Richmond, VA

Author Topic: stopover in Richmond, VA
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know a good, safe, not too expensive hotel for a female traveling alone to overnight in Richmond? Also, what's the story on the 2 train stations in Richmond, and what is their location? I'd be coming down on the Regional, so a hotel convenient to that station would be good. I'd be leaving on the Silver Meteor, which departs at night, so I'd likely have to take a taxi; but I could get there earlier and check my luggage if there is a place to do that.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that Main Street, if you can get a convenient train to reach it, would give you more options for hotels than Staples Mill, though I could well stand corrected as I haven't been to Richmond in years.

I've never liked Staples Mill due to its remote location and lack of public transit access, but that's going to be a necessary evil for the Silver Star.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto with Liberty in so far as not particularly liking the Staples Mill Road station - There is a McDonald's less than a block from the Staples Mill Road Station that has better ambiance than the depot.

In July 2002 I spent the night at an 'Extended Stay America' hotel (that was the name of the place....kind of a greenish, orangish, cream logo.) just off interstate 64 in Richmond. The hotel was about a 5 minute, $4.00 cab ride each way from the Staples Mill Road station. It was clean, economical, and safe. Seems like there was a Bob Evans kind of restaurant across the parking lot.

Normally my memory is a little clearer but I arrived at midnight off a 6 hour late Thruway Bus from the 'Cardinal' at Charlottesville and left fairly early the next morning to catch the southbound 'Carolinian'.

The 'two station' in Richmond bit - Main Street Station is a classic downtown station which was reopened after a lengthy restoration a couple of years ago. The trains to/from Newport News are the only ones which use it. The trains for points south of Richmond could move into Main Street Station but that would take restoring a 16-18 mile section of former Seaboard Air Line RR track which was downgraded by CSX some 20 years ago.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see I wasn't clear; I want the hotel near downtown tourist sites too--so I guess that is near the Main St station? Any tips? I'm definitely no interested in a highway motel that is just a place to stop and eat fast food and take a taxi to and from; I want to stay over one night and see some Richmond tourist sites and would like to be able to walk to those. But Staples Mill sounds so unappetizing, and I just found out the capitol is closed for refurbishing, so I think I'll have to rethink this stop altogether. It sounds like I should visit Richmond on Newport News trains, maybe along with Williamsburg--not when I'm going to or coming fr FL!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sojourner,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I just assumed you wanted a rack and a snack between trains.

Let me suggest something different.

The Henry Clay Inn in Ashland, VA.

I've provided a link below for you. While it's 10-15 miles north of Richmond, I think it might be more the kind of place you have in mind...and is also my first choice in the area. Ashland is clean and safe with interesting old homes along the main street......which also happens to be where the railroad runs.

The Henry Clay is across the street from the train station and it is a very small street. Platform to front desk is about 30 yards. You can get there from the north on one of the regional trains.

The next morning you could either explore Ashland (Home of Randolph-Macon College) or catch another regional train south to Richmond Main Street or Williamsburg. Later that day you can catch another regional back to Richmond Staples Mill Road which is where you would need to go to catch the Silver Meteor.

Henry Clay Inn

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner

As David knows, the Henry Clay and Ashland is my favorite spot. Aside from the trains, I'm a RMC alumni and have considererd that as a later retirement spot for those days when I no longer want to drive from SC to see our kids who seem to be settling in the northeast.

Our favorite room is 214- a corner trackside. A room in the back of the building is better if you don't want to hear train noise. Check out Cross Bros. grocery across the street. Still family operated and like grocery stores used to be. The Ironhorse restaurant next block down from the hotel is great. Ask for a table in the bar area - good train watching, same excellent food at a lower price. The vistor center is in the Train Station-during normal business hours only.

You could work this in to a FL trip as well. After spending the night, take the morning train into Richmond-Main St. (leaves at 9:18am arrives at 10:12). This will give you a day in town to check out the sights (lunch in the Shockoe Slip area) then taxi back to the Staples Mill station for the Silver Star at 5:19PM. Good way to break up the trip and see a small town that hasn't yet sucumbed to the developers.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Chesterfield, about 10 mins south of Richmond. I have boarded trains at both Staples Mill(RVR) and Main Street(RVM). In richmond, there really aren't many things near the Main Street station other than the Canal Walk, and Shockoe Slip. Carytown is not far, but certainly not within walking distance through a SAFE neighborhood.

Suggestions i would have for visiting Richmond would be to definetely have a PLAN of what you are doing, and i would not walk any great distance to do any of these plans. A taxi would be a better idea. Richmond is not a nasty city, but there are pockets of bad crime that you may not realize are there until you are already in them. Just be careful and street smart.

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually while Main Street is the more beautiful station it is east of I 95 it near the restored canal and shockoe bottom its not far from downtown but if you are looking for less expensive hotels, Quality Inn Comfort Inn excetra. Those are located on West Broad St. Staples Mill is 10 miles from downtown.
http://visit.richmond.com/visitors/getthere.aspx

But there is a convinient bus system in the city to get you around cheaply and easily

http://www.ridegrtc.com/FrontEnd/HTML/index.html

there is so much history in Richmond both colonial and civil war era's. I was at a Wedding at the Jefferson Hotel.

I believe only the trains that terminate in Newport News stop at Main Street which you should visit even if you have to detrain at Staples Mill which is a glorified Amshack. The Virginia Science Museum is the former Richmond Union Station. try the visiting center or at the hotels and try to find a bus or trolley tour its a great city.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, whatever you do be sure to call your taxi WELL in advance; Richmond isn't a vaey good cab town. Hailing one on the street is virtually impossible. If you are staying near Main Street Station, you will probably find one waiting at one of the major hotels downtown.
Closest to the station are the Omni, and a boutique hotel called the Berkeley. They are in the restaurant -nightclub district called Shockoe Slip. There are cheaper hotels Downtown- the Massad House and the Linden Row (this one is made from several row houses joined together) but the parts of Downtown they are in can be rather dodgy at night. David's suggestion of the Henry Clay Inn in Ashland seems the best solution.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Well, I'm disappointed Richmond seems so inaccessible as a city for someone who likes to walk around. Add the unreliable taxis and you have the makings of a bad time had by me! Besides, I just learned the capitol is closed for renovation until April!

Thanks for all the input.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Well, I'm disappointed Richmond seems so inaccessible as a city for someone who likes to walk around. Add the unreliable taxis and you have the makings of a bad time had by me! Besides, I just learned the capitol is closed for renovation until April!

Hey Sojourner,

You do still have the possibility of an Ashland stopover. Take the morning regional (#67 at 9:18am) down to Williamsburg (ar. 11:04am) and then catch the afternoon regional (#66 at 4:20pm) back to Staples Mill Road (ar. 5:55pm) and hold for the southbound Silver Meteor.

Regardless, let us know what you decide to do and how it was when you return!

David

--------------------
David Pressley

Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'd go with Ashland.
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:

Hey Sojourner,

You do still have the possibility of an Ashland stopover. Take the morning regional (#67 at 9:18am) down to Williamsburg (ar. 11:04am) and then catch the afternoon regional (#66 at 4:20pm) back to Staples Mill Road (ar. 5:55pm) and hold for the southbound Silver Meteor.

Regardless, let us know what you decide to do and how it was when you return!

David

David- that's a much beter idea then Richmond. We stopped in Williamsburg before Christmas and a great place. Just a short taxi ride from the station to the historic area. One of the Colonial restaurants would be fun for lunch-in the off season and the W&M bookstore is well worth a stop.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Well, right now illness has made me cancel this trip entirely! But I will have plenty of time to plan it for the future. And maybe the capitol in Richmond will be open then too. Actually, it sounds to me like I should visit Richmond and Williamsburg on one trip and Florida on another.

Thanks for all your help!

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The historic area is all walkable so you don't need a car which isn't permitted on D O G street any way. It is just a mile from the campus to the capital. The campus of W&M is one of the most beautiful in the country and the Wren building the oldest academic building in existance. They do good tours. I am not the least bit prejudiced even if it is my Alma Mater.
If the Raleigh tavern still has the bake shop in back do stop and get some of the ginger cookies.
Chownings is a good place for lunch.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

Hey Sojourner,

David- that's a much beter idea then Richmond. We stopped in Williamsburg before Christmas and a great place. Just a short taxi ride from the station to the historic area. One of the Colonial restaurants would be fun for lunch-in the off season and the W&M bookstore is well worth a stop.

Sojourner - We all hope that you are out and about again soon. Sometimes the planning is as much fun (almost) as the taking.

Palmland - The idea of a train daytrip to Williamsburg from Ashland is one of those I'm going to do 'someday'. Right now I'm toying with bigger ideas for an April trip and have 32,000 guest reward points just waiting to be spent!

--------------------
David Pressley

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,

I'm sorry you are not feeling well and are up and riding very soon.

I've been to Richmond many times several times via Amtrak. I've never had a problem with finding a taxi, because the buses don't seem to go up to Staples Mill the cab drivers know to show up when the trains arrive. Yes abit of planning would be to call ahead. Once you get downtown bus will get you all over town. There is a bus that goes past the Main Street Station.

Richmond is not inaccessable contact the transit and vistors bureaus on the links I posted above well be very helpful, If your looking for history Richmond is tops.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, hope you are feeling better and are back in the travel mode soon.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page