RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » CONO - SWC Adventure

Author Topic: CONO - SWC Adventure
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the time I get to Phoenix... Some of you may remember that Glen Campbell song and in keeping our muscial theme recently, it applies to my upcoming trip. Some of you helped me with ideas for it and I do appreciate your advice.

So, late next week I will fly to New Orleans and arrive late at night. I'll be staying at the AmeriHost hotel on Canal St. The best thing about it is that it is an old building that has been renvoated but is still cheap and only for a short night. We'll see.. but maybe I can hear the streetcars.

As you may remember I will be using my Amtrak pass that only allows reservations 24 hours in advance. Normally, I pay the going rate to be assured a room and have everything planned in some detail. This trip, to save a few dollars, I am stepping out of charcher a bit as my wife will already in Phoneix with her folks and I will be going solo. With that in mind I will be leaving the button down look at home and be in Levi's and backpack mode. If I can get a roomette great, if not I'm kind of looking forward to spending lots of time in the lounge and in full railfan adventure mindset.

After a morning in New Orleans (think an hour or two with the sunday paper at Cafe du Monde or Jackson square) I'll try my luck on the City of New Orleans. If I do not get a room, then you can find me 'with the old men in the club car' and no doubt, saying 'pass the bag that holds the bottle'. [Cool]

Since duty in Phoenix calls, I'll have to forego a couple sidetrips I had thought about. So on arrival in Chicago I'll try for either the SWC or CZ with the SWC being first choice. I chose that for a couple reasons: Southwest Airlines is a bit cheaper LA to Phoenix than Sacramento to Phoenix; I have ridden Chicago to Flagstaff several times but never the Flagstaff to LA portion. Finally I'd like to get some picture of the remaining semaphores on the Santa Fe Raton line.

So I will let you know how it goes. Just a couple questions:
-Anyone know which portion of the line the semaphores are still in place?
-Does the CONO serve lunch on departure from New Orleans?
-How long should I allow to take the new bus service from LAX to the airport?
-I had heard a rumor that the lounge is no longer on the SWC, any truth to that one?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
palmland:

I did the railfan adventure bit on the CONO northbound on 11/28-29 in coach. I had a whole seat to myself all the way to CHI, and the sleeping was great. I could be wrong, but I believe the diner doesn't open until dinner, about an hour before Jackson, MS. There is a Subway in the NOL station, and you could do worse than grab a sub to go for the train. Of course, the snack car is available. When I rode, no "old men in the club car," except me. Pleasant trip, and we ran on the advertised the whole way.

Skip breakfast on the train, and hit that cafe in CUS where the guy makes omelettes for you right on the spot, and the bagels and coffee are excellent, too.

Be careful on Canal St. at night; you probably know that the city's having problems with crime ever since Katrina. I should note, however, that I left my car at the NOL station parking lot for a week, with absolutely no problems.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'upper quadrant blades' may be seen between Raton and Las Vegas, more specifically between
Springer and Wagon Mound which is traversed in the middle of the day.

Get in the front of the upper level of the club car, whichever variety it may be.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The semaphores are all the way down to Albuquerque, but the ones along the Rail Runner route are being replaced as the new signals are installed. There was one at Bernalillo that you could see from Interstate 25, but it will be gone soon.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kiernan:
There was one at Bernalillo that you could see from Interstate 25, but it will be gone soon.

That's a shame [Frown]

There is a Burger King/Gas station really close to that semaphore. It's a good place to stop for lunch and you can usually see #4 fly by while you eat...She's close to 90mph through here.

My dad and I went out to take pictures of the semaphore when we were passing through about 2 years ago. I'll have to post those if I can find the pictures. As I recall, that semaphore is ATS equipped with a track side inductor close by.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-How long should I allow to take the new bus service from LAX to the airport?

The bus runs every half hour during the day, but the schedule often gets stretched out, so sometimes the intervals between busses are more than a half hour. The bus uses the high occupancy vehicle lanes, so the trip usually takes no more than 30 to 45 minutes. Of course, LAX airport can get pretty congested at times, but the Southwest terminal is the first stop. To get the bus at Union Station, go through the tunnel, all the way to the end. Go up to ground level, and you will find the bus stop and ticket booth at the far right of the transit plaza.

Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ocala Mike - thanks for the tips. If no lunch on the train, I think I may opt for a good brunch. If a nice day maybe try the Court of the Two Sisters if it has reopened after Katrina even if I do miss seeing the Sunset. I am aware of N.O. problems but unless there are snipers in the windows, I will stubbornly ignore all that and should be ok since any walking will be in daylight. That restaurant in CUS sounds like a good idea for breakfast.

Russ M- thanks for the bus info,sounds easy. Too bad there isn't a transit line to LAX.

All- I'll have camera at the ready for the semaphores, thanks for the locations. Suppose it's worth a try from an open window in the vestibule area? I was surprised to see mention of a 90mph speed, but checked my 1989 ATSF Employee timetable and sure enough, speed for passenger in many places is 90. If that is still the speed, must have cab signals in the engines? Amtrak would do well to put a second train on this line, at least as far as KC (and on to Texas?)

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another idea for photographing the semaphores would be out the rear door of the train now that the SWC doesn't routinely have 30 boxcars attached to the rear.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my trio to the Rare mileage trips in October and the trip to La Plata in December on my web site are pictures of all of the remaining semephores on that line takin out the back window of the train,

http://trainweb.org/chris

Go the the 2006-2007 story link to find the stories.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Chris for the La PLATA trip photos.
Two items: The large rock formation between Lamy and Bernalillo is called DEVILS THRONE; and the private car at KC is number 37 Chico, a former ATSF General Managers business car now owned by Marvin and Dorothy Robertson of Lawrence, KS.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Another idea for photographing the semaphores would be out the rear door of the train now that the SWC doesn't routinely have 30 boxcars attached to the rear.

The rear of the train is a great spot, and maybe could get a picture of the semaphores as they are moving to horizontal position. All the sleepers belong on the rear of a train, maybe this is one time I'll be glad the coaches are there.
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernalillo to Lamy is 79 mph. The staff at one of the public meetings for the Rail Runner told us that the track used to be 90 mph, but had been downgraded.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bernalillo to Lamy is 79 mph. The staff at one of the public meetings for the Rail Runner told us that the track used to be 90 mph, but had been downgraded.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if this was still a 90mph section or not. It is Automatic Train Stop (ATS) territory, or at least used to be. Without ATS, or another system like cab signals, 79 is the max speed allowed. But if you were told it used to be 90, my guess is the ATS got removed somehow, by by semaphore [Frown]

--------------------
Matt

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:

Russ M- thanks for the bus info,sounds easy. Too bad there isn't a transit line to LAX.

All- I'll have camera at the ready for the semaphores, thanks for the locations. Suppose it's worth a try from an open window in the vestibule area? I was surprised to see mention of a 90mph speed, but checked my 1989 ATSF Employee timetable and sure enough, speed for passenger in many places is 90. If that is still the speed, must have cab signals in the engines? Amtrak would do well to put a second train on this line, at least as far as KC (and on to Texas?)

There is a transit route to LAX, but you don't want to take it! Be glad we (finally) have a direct bus connection from LA Union Station to LAX.

I just looked in my Altamont Press timetable, and these are the 90mph areas:
Going eastbound:
Seligman Sub:
* East Needles (doubt you'll get up that fast, there's 50 mph restrictions on either end)
* Powell-East Griffith
* Getz-Walapai
* East Crookton-East Williams Jct
Gallup Sub:
* Hibbard-Bibo
* Chambers-West Gallup
* East Gallup-East Grants
Raton Sub:
* Hoehnes (who names this stuff???)
* Model-Ormega
Boise City Sub:
* Las Animas-Casa

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
thanks Paul B. Glad to hear 90mph timekeeping is still there. The BNSF really is the best operating railroad out there in my opinion. Amtrak would do well to use them more (and less on UP). Which I am sure BNSF would hate and UP would love.

On a recent trip on the EB we were on time the whole trip, with virtually every siding filled with freights. Very little double track unlike much of the SWC route.

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Thanks PaulB

Doesn't look like much has changed since the 1997 Southwest Region Timetable I have. You missed the Glorieta Sub so I listed that too, although all could be gone as this is 1997 info. What Altamont copy(ies) do you have? It's about time I get some new ones I think. I also think I'm missing some sections you listed (Raton, Boise City) since I only have the Southwest Region.

Former 90mph sections:

Seligman Sub:
* East Darling-West Pass

Gallup Sub:
* Marmon-Suwanee
* Rio Puerco
* Dalies

Glorieta Sub (some possibly still active):
* Rio Bravo-Albuquerque
* Alameda-Nueve (this includes Bernalillo)
* Domingo-Lamy

Raton Sub (Las Vegas-Trinidad):
* Max speed was 79 in 1997

Boise City Sub (BNSF Crossing-Boise City):
* Max speed was 49 in 1997
* No passenger trains for the section I have

--------------------
Matt

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Southwest Chief:
quote:

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if this was still a 90mph section or not. It is Automatic Train Stop (ATS) territory, or at least used to be. Without ATS, or another system like cab signals, 79 is the max speed allowed. But if you were told it used to be 90, my guess is the ATS got removed somehow, by by semaphore [Frown]
According to the 2002 ETT that I have, the speed limit is 79 mph, but the ATS is still in place. Probably the speed got reduced from 90 mph to 79 mph due to track condtions, or simply to reduce the freqency of required inspections. They could have made it 80 with the ATS in place, but by making it 79, if the ATS is removed no further change need be made in speed limit. Even if the track still passes Class 5 (90/70), the inspection and maintenance requirements are more relaxed of all they have to comply wiht is the FRA requirements for Class 4 (80/60).
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Just a quick note on the Boise City Sub:

It now begins at La Junta and leaves the Dodge City-La Junta main line at Las Animas Jct, then proceeds through Boise City to Amarillo. 49 MPH is only for that segment between Las Animas Jct and Amarillo. This is the route taken by loaded coal trains with the empty northbound coal trains routed through Clayton and Trinidad to Pueblo.

So about 22 miles of the Boise City Sub are used by the SWC.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Thanks for the speed info-

Anyone know what the consist is these days? Assume coaches on the rear.

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Here is a consist from train #3 I took this summer (5/29/06-5/30/06)

P42 150
P42 148
P42 140
Baggage 1221 (phase III)
Transition 39018 (Superliner II)
Sleeper 32016 (full rebuild)(IVb)
Sleeper 32037 (partial rebuild)(IVb)
Diner 38018
Lounge 33020
Coach 34046
Coach 34035 (phase IVb)
Coach 34105 (Superliner II)
Reefer 74110
Reefer 74079
Reefer 74502

--------------------
Matt

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:On a recent trip on the EB we were on time the whole trip, with virtually every siding filled with freights. Very little double track unlike much of the SWC route. [/QB]
I would not be surprised to see the BNSF campaign of adding 2nd main tracks to move to the High Line after they have finished on the ATSF Transcon, although they are beginning to add a third main to some parts that already have the second main. Given the long grades on parts of this a lot of third main may be showing up in Arizona and Claifornia.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
George, I think you are right as transcon traffic will continue to grow on all routes. It is no surprise that I read a senior BNSF exec said it was relatively painless to stick the SWC in a slot on the transcon line (via NM, AZ) and let it flow with the fleet while the EB was more problematic with the single track much of the way.
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
There is relatively light freight traffic on BNSF west from Newton, KS toward Colorado and with the State of NM owning the track south of Trinidad I doubt that there will be any 2nd track. The busiest location appears to be the 22 miles between La Junta and Las Animas Jct of which about 5 miles east from LJ is double track. The SWC on the northern line creates no operational problems but maintenace of the signal system for passenger train operation is a cost not needed for freight trains.
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by RRCHINA:
There is relatively light freight traffic on BNSF west from Newton, KS toward Colorado and with the State of NM owning the track south of Trinidad I doubt that there will be any 2nd track.

Huh? Adding double track to this line was no where in the discussion. However, Dailes and west, which is all double track now is where there is a possibility of a third main in places.

The "Hiline" mentioned is the former Great Northern main used by the Empire Builder across Montana. This line is mostly single track with a few sections of double track, and lots of trains. If I understand what I have seen, it has about the same freight volume as UP's Sunset Route. Here is where a second main could start showing up. The major capacity constraints on this line are the Flathead and particularly the Cascade tunnels. Both require purge periods after upgrade trains to clear out the exhaust fumes.

Back to Speeds within the Railrunner territory:
From the 2002 employee timetable:

mp 886.0 Bernalillo
mp 902.4 Albuquerque
mp 915.0 Isleta, = mp 12.6 for Transcon to west
mp 933.1 Belen
Speeds--Maximum:
Bernalillo to Isleta: 79 mph passenger
Isleta to Belen: 49 mph freight - no passenger limit given, but would be max 59 mph.
Lower Speeds south of Bernalillo:
mp 898.8 EDT spring switch, northbound only, 30 mph
898.8 to 899.4: 60 mph
899.4 to 901.5: 50 mph
901.5 to 905.2: 20 mph
905.2 to 905.4: 70 mph
914.9 to 915.2: 20 mph
however, turnout at mp 915.0 shown as 40 mph.
932.4, Belen Jct, "all switches, 30 mph"

In other words for the line north, once out of the restrictions in Albuquerque the speed is 79 mph for the rest of the Railrunner territory. the next speed restriction north is 35 mph between mp 853.2 and 853.7

George

PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the most recent Altamont Press timetable...Southwest Region Number 5
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
[QUOTE]I would not be surprised to see the BNSF campaign of adding 2nd main tracks to move to the High Line after they have finished on the ATSF Transcon, although they are beginning to add a third main to some parts that already have the second main. Given the long grades on parts of this a lot of third main may be showing up in Arizona and Claifornia.

Yes, BNSF Cajon Sub is already 3MT from San Bernardino to Keenbrook. They are working on adding a 3rd main from Keenbrook to Summit.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page