RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Christmas Dinner, Amtrak Style

Author Topic: Christmas Dinner, Amtrak Style
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there was some discussion on here regarding the turkey dinner that is served on Amtrak during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. I took a short trip to San Luis Obispo on Christmas Day, so on the way back on the Coast Starlight I did some investigative journalism and ordered the turkey dinner special, and the pumpkin pie for dessert:

First, here's the snack pack you get on the Surfliners. The wine was also complimentary. There's chips, sesame crackers, an oatmeal raisin bar, dried fruit mix, and a Mento.
 -

Next, here's the turkey dinner. There's turkey with gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing, broccoli, and carrots.
 -

Lastly, here's the pumpkin pie. No explanation needed here!
 -

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice pictures. My wife and I had these exact items on a trip from San Diego to Massachusetts just after Christmas. In the Southwest Chief, there was a little card next to each table by the window advertising the special. First time I've seen that, as the waiter usually has to announce the special of the day.

The Lake Shore Limited had the same special but without the descriptive cards.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, it certainly looks good but the big question is HOW DID IT TASTE? Good pics by the way
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jamie-
Member # 4404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jamie-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm! That looks so good! Too bad we couldn't go with you!
Posts: 13 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas Day 2001, SWC westbound: CHRISTMAS DINNER? NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Standard menu.

Christmas Day 2003, CZ WB? CHRISTMAS DINNER? NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Standard menu.

Like to know when Amtrak finally joined historic railroading in offering a Christmas dinner on the train!

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look excellent. Perhaps they should make this a regular entree.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The turkey didn't taste like it was cooked onboard (other than re-heated) but it did taste good.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GregA
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GregA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks yum! I must remember to try pumpkin pie when I'm next in the US...

Thank you for the photos!

Posts: 8 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page