RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip to the West Coast and Return

Author Topic: Trip to the West Coast and Return
Dixie Flyer
Member # 4640

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dixie Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all, Hello!

We have tickets for the following rail journey in the Spring.

• April 14-15, New Orleans to Chicago on the CNO, Bedroom D/5800
  • April 15-17, Chicago to Emeryville on the CZ, Bedroom D/0532
  • April 18, Emeryville to Los Angeles on the CS, Roomette 02/1131
  • April 20-22, Los Angeles to New Orleans on the SL, Bedroom D/0230

I think this worked out really well considering these constraints; 1) we have to leave from and return to New Orleans, 2) our travel time could only include one work week and 3) the Sunset Ltd runs only 3 days a week.

Can some of you advise me on hotels near Emeryville and Los Angeles train stations? Also, non-train related and non-walking things to do in LA? I suspect we will need a break from trains by then.

Can some of you help me to understand the sleeper car numbers as shown on the tickets? I suspect these are car positions on an idealized (or dare I say, virtual) train consist. From reading various travelogues, I think I understand this much; 1) Car 0532 will have cars 0531 and 0530 between it and the diner, 2) Car 1131 will have car 1130 and the Parlour Car (if there is one) between it and the diner, and 3) Car 0230 will be next to the diner. What I don't understand at all is the location of car 5800.

Does anyone know the width of the corridors in sleepers, etc.? I ask this because I have some mobility problems and am looking into possibly bringing a stripped down "narrow guage" wheel chair. Also do the Red Caps in New Orleans, Chicago, and Los Angeles have motorized carts for people with mobility problems? I can walk (I just can't walk very far), so I don't think this will be a problem in Emeryville.

--------------------
Richard T.

Posts: 30 | From: Northwest Georgia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, the red caps in LA and Chicago do have the motorized carts. but a word to the wise..call Amtrak in advance and tell them you need the cart. Also have your car attendent makes sure he/she knows and sometimes they will call ahead. Also when you detrain and the red cap is there tell him your name and that you have requesteds help from Amtrak before you left. IN Chicago when you train is called they will annonuce that all people who need a redcap come to the front. Be sure he knows you need the cart. We always tell him and then go out to where he tells us and get on quickly. The reason for this is there are always people who try to push you out of the way and get on the cart even though they didn't request it. The cart in LA was quite large but in Chicago it carried only 4 people and it is a very long walk to the lounge.
You are right about the cars but I do not know about 5800. I am sure that somweone on the forum will be able to help you.
One thing you might do in LA is take a bus tour of the city. We always do that in a new city even if we are driving. that way you get a good over view and also can decide on things you may want to go back to see.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the car numbered 5800, that appears to be the norm for the CONO. I don't know why though! I think it normally only runs with one sleeper.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, the CONO runs with only one sleeper, and Amtrak has been "tinkering" with its location in the consist. Of late, it is up front just behind the dorm car. There is a coach, however, between it and the diner.

You should have no problems at NOL; I left from there on #58 to CHI a few weeks ago. It is a very small "homey" station, and the Amtrak staff there will get you boarded fine.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip. I m booked on the Sunset in July from NOL to LAX. I always have to have a great train trip to look foward to toget me through the winter.

In Los Angeles, check out the Days Inn. Someone said it is back to its original name the Metro Plaza. It is a short walk from Union Station. If you can make it to Oakland, one stop from Emeryville, you ll probably like the Jack London Inn. It is walking distance from the Oakland station.

Enjoy your trip. Theres nothing like an Amtrak journey in a sleeper!

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feveredwthesunset
Member # 4713

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for feveredwthesunset         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some hotels in Emeryville, in ascending order by distance from the station:

Woodfin Suites
http://www.woodfinsuitehotels.com/emeryville/
888-433-9042
(510) 601-5880

Four Points by Sheraton
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=913
800-368-7764
(510) 547-7888

Courtyard by Marriott Emeryville
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/OAKMV
800-321-2211
510-652-8777

Hilton Garden Inn
http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=UYZY4Q20JWXSKCSGBIWMVCQKIYFC5UUC?ctyhocn=SFOBBGI
877-STAY-HGI
510-658-9300

The Courtyard by Marriott and the Hilton Garden Inn may be about the same distance away but the Hilton Garden Inn is on the other side of the freeway from the station so may be farther away in terms of time if you hit the traffic lights wrong.

All are walking distance from the station if you have wheeled luggage, but you mentioned that you can't walk very far. Some or all may have shuttle vans and could provide transportation to and from the station. A friend of mine who stayed at the Woodfin Suites said they do have a van but a lot of their guests need transportation to and from BART during commute hours and the van was already fully booked at the time she needed to travel, so you might also ask if your timing would be a problem.

Someone suggested the Jack London Inn which is indeed convenient to the Oakland Jack London Square station, but as you probably know the CZ doesn't go to Oakland.

I agree that the Days Inn in LA is a good choice. No frills, but very convenient for train travelers.

As for non-train activites in LA, you have many choices, but adding non-walking to the mix complicates things considerably. As you know, sightseeing generally does involve walking!

If you will not be renting a car you must expect some train riding, though (on MTA) as well as buses. In the museum category, I have used public transit to visit the LA County Museum of Art/La Brea Tar Pits, the Getty Center, the Norton Simon, and even the Huntington Library/Art Collections/Botanical Gardens, though the last was a bit of a hike from the bus stop. Many museums have wheelchairs that visitors can borrow or rent; you may be able to find that information on the museums' websites.

You might look into Grayline's tours of LA; they might have one or more that are mostly driving around.

As for bringing a wheelchair with you, aboard the train even a narrow gauge wheelchair isn't practical. In the Superliners you have to go upstairs to go through the train, and the narrow corridors have to accommodate two-way traffic. The wheelchair would block the corridor and people going the other way wouldn't be able to get by you. The car attendants do bring meals on request, though. Since this is an extra service, extra tipping would be appropriate.

They do have the electic carts in the Emeryville station as well. Let the agent at the ticket counter know if you would like this service.

You have worked out your itinerary nicely. Enjoy your trip, and bring some books on tape along so you can read and enjoy the scenery at the same time. Even a passenger rail enthusiast like myself finds the trip more fun that way!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey fevered -- concerning the wheelchair, if Mr. or Ms. Dixie Flyer reserved a handicapped room on the Superliner, they could take their wheelchair, and as you said, the car attendant can bring them their meals to the room. Obviously it is nearly impossible to run a wheelchair up and down stairs and through the aisles of the train -- the handicapped rooms are on the lower level of the Superliner sleepers.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoop
Member # 4607

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: Emeryville:

Woodfin Suites is trackside across from the station. The next closest is the Sheraton. The other two are a bit of a walk...

Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dixie Flyer
Member # 4640

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dixie Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments. I have decided to stay at the Sheraton in Emeryville.

Although I did find the Days Inn (also listed as Days Inn Metro Plaza) near Union Station in Los Angeles, no rooms were available on the nights I requested. Just for fun I checked both the week before and the week after - no rooms available then either. Maybe it is being renovated or closed. What do you know about the Best Western Dragon Gate Hotel also near Union Station? The reviews seem to be mixed. Is it in a fairly safe area? Would any of you recommend any other hotels near Union Station?

Train Lady, we probably will take a bus tour of LA, at least a half day if not all day. I agree with you that is a good way to get an overview of a new city. I have been to LA before, but my traveling companion hasn't.

Also thanks for the info about the Red Caps and their carts. I really didn't think a "narrow gauge" wheelchair was a possibility. I am going to call Amtrak about the possibility of taking a wheelchair as checked baggage.

Tonight, we are having snow flurries in northwest Georgia, but winter only lasts about six weeks.

Again, thanks to all.

--------------------
Richard T.

Posts: 30 | From: Northwest Georgia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page