RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » sleeper cars with kids, question

Author Topic: sleeper cars with kids, question
Nirvanagurl
Member # 3229

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nirvanagurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok me and my two children, who will be 7 and 12. Have done the route between Reno and going home to IL 3 times now. We have always done it coach seating and after the last time I knew I am just getting too old to sleep in those chairs anymore. I just can not do it.

So this summer I am planning to finally break down and break out the money for a sleeper car.

I can either get the family bedroom on my route or get 2 roomettes, which is way cheaper, and let my 12 year old have his own room, which I am totally comfortable with and share my roomette with my small 7 year old daughter

What do you guys think, is the family bedroom really worth the extra 600.00 I would have to pay?

I mean I think anything is going to look better to us then coach, because that is all we are used too, but on the website the family bedroom just looks so much nicer then the roomettes, but it is 600.00 nicer? Thats my question!

Just how much nicer is a family bedroom over 2 roomettes?

Keep in mind that both me and my daughter are small and I think we can crunch comfortable in a roomette together, but I dont know that, I have never done this before, so any advice is something I am willing to listen too!

Posts: 12 | From: carson city, nv usa | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nirvanagurl
Member # 3229

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nirvanagurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And another quick question, has the food gotten any better? The last time we went , we didnt even attempt to eat the train food, it was just so gross the first 2 times we tried.

Now if we get a sleeper car and the food is part of that heavy price, I am hoping its somewhat more edible then it was a few years ago?

Posts: 12 | From: carson city, nv usa | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two roomettes would be fine for the size and type of people you describe. I would not feel the bedroom was worth the additional money. As for the food, I find it adequate but not great. It certainly is not "gross".

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd choose two roomettes.

Although the size of the "adult" bed in the family room is a bit more spacious, the tiny windows on either side of the room limit your view of the passing countryside, and also make the room a bit gloomy during the day.

If you choose to travel in two roomettes, be sure you book your trip with a "live" Amtrak agent, either by phone or at a train station. Ask for roomettes that are directly across the corridor from each other. If you book the trip online, your son could end up in a roomette at the other end of the car -- or even in an entirely different car.

You'll find diagrams of Amtrak's sleeping cars, along with the room numbers, here:

http://trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

------------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ms. Nirvana,

I second Ms. Vicki in saying that two roomettes would likely be more than adequate for your needs.

You might want to compare the two roomettes vs. the price of a single regular bedroom too (as opposed to the family bedroom.) The regular bedroom might be cheaper than two roomettes. The regular bedroom has a larger lower bunk that you could share with the 7-year old and let the 12-year old have the upper bunk.

Final thought with sleepers - if you're flexible check the fares for the day you want to travel online but then also check the fares a couple of days on either side. It doesn't always pay dividends BUT I did grab a roomette on the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville in April 2006 that was about $180.00 cheaper than it was any other day the same week. I booked it immediately and figured out the rest of the trip around the one relatively cheap sleeper. Once you have an idea of what's available online, go with the live agent (and Reno has one) to book....assuming you go with the two roomettes...Dilly is right that otherwise you may not get them across from each other if you rely on the computer for that.

As for the food - alot of times it has to do with how the particular dining crew is. Most of the entrees are prepared before the trip now and reheated onboard. Some are not great but some are decent. The meals seem to taste better when you aren't having to 'pay the bill' after each one even though any rational adult knows you've paid for it when you bought the sleeping car room(s). You might want to go for a seating an hour or so after the meal starts so you can start getting feedback from other passengers and servers as to what seems to be the better choice that day. I once tried the Bob Evans Breakfast Scramble (April 2006 again) and found it kind of gross myself!

Best wishes and hope your trip is a good one. You might never go back to coach.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how many here will agree with me, but I really dislike the family bedroom.

I've traveled in all sleeper accommodations (except accessible) and I actually prefer the roomette to them all. The deluxe is very nice, but toilet odors come through the pipes, and these are usually not from your own use...eewww.

The last time I traveled in the family room (must have been near 1996) the room seemed cramped to me. However there were 5 of us and there will be only 3 of you. Even though my 2 younger sisters and myself were a lot smaller back then it still seemed cramped in there.

There is also considerable wheel noise in the family room since you are essentially next to one of the trucks. Just hope for no flat spot or you’ll likely be hearing it for a day after your trip.

Plus the windows are single rather then double length. Although you do get the full width of the car offering unobstructed views of both sides.

One up side is the very easy access to the many downstairs restrooms and shower. Plus you are very isolated downstairs and can typically walk to the restrooms or shower in pajamas or less without much embarrassment. Moreover, some say the ride downstairs is smoother, although I haven’t noticed this on my travels.

The roomette is a nice space. But I should add that I’ve only traveled sleeping in the lower bunk of a roomette. One of my sisters has traveled in the upper bunk many times and says the room is cramped. So since I've only slept on the lower bunk I may be biased.

But I like the overall plan and there is plenty of window space to look out and watch the country pass by.

If you do go with a roomette every person in the room should bring a small suitcase for use in the room and then either check the rest or put it in the downstairs storage area. Although since you will be getting 2 rooms, there might be some extra space in your son’s room. But the roomette is tight on space and there is no room for clutter.

I pack my small suitcase with the clothes I need for use in the room, on the train, and if needed special clothes for boarding and detraining. I also jam in my toiletries like a tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, soap, shaving stuff, etc… I also like to pack an extra shirt for unexpected food spills. I bring along my radio scanner too but things start getting tight in the small suitcase by now and not much else will fit.

My 2 sisters always bring their fuzzy friends along, and if your daughter does too, the roomette has perfect steps for them to sit on, unless your luggage takes up this space. See:
 -

I hope this information is somewhat helpful, and I wish you the best on your Amtrak journey.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big disadvantage to the roomette with a 7 year old is the lack of floor space. 7 year olds do tend to get restless and unless yours is content to sit in the seat and play it could be difficult. I would definitely check the price of all the accomodations. It might well be that a bedroom is the cheaper. Not only is there more floor space but there is a 6 ft couch as well. We went in a family room once and didn't like it at all. It is gloomy, smaller windows, colder and we felt the rails all night. But whatever you decide enjoy.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be contrary and opt for the regular (not the family) bedroom, which as someone else has pointed out might even be less expensive than two roomettes. Also, the way 12-yr. olds are nowadays, you wouldn't want him to be getting lucky with an 11-yr. old Eva Marie Saint type in his own private roomette, now would you?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might try checking prices on different dates if you have some flexibility. I happened to notice when checking prices for next week on the Southwest Chief that the family bedroom was actually cheaper than one roomette (LAP-ABQ, Feb 11,12). You probably won't get that lucky in the summer though, as there is much more demand.

Having tried all 3 (Deluxe, Family and Roomette) with my 2 kids (twins), we thought them all to be about equal for sleeping comfort. The top bunk often had noisy drafty fans and was cramped. My kids sleep anywhere so even 3 of us in a single roomette was comfy when they were about 10.

If the train food you disliked was from the sightseer lounge car, you will find the diner food that is included in sleeper fare to be possibly better, but not as good as it was before the latest cost cutting fiasco. If the food you disliked was from the diner, you are in for a repeat bad experience. Some members of this forum might be able to recommend certain selections from the current diner menu. I have had some delicious meals there. Some here have recommended the food in the Grand Junction station that can be purchased while the train is stopped.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
you wouldn't want him to be getting lucky with an 11-yr. old Eva Marie Saint type in his own private roomette, now would you?

Eva Longoria, maybe!
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, being we are all railfans, I made a reference to that truly great segment on the 20th Century Limited in Alfred Hitchcock's "North by Northwest." Maybe the kid looks like a 12-yr. old Cary Grant, right? At any rate, I doubt that Ms. Longoria rides Amtrak.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eva Longoria: "I have a trainer. I train every day"
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your travel dates are locked in (as others have said, you might get a better price a couple days before or after), then book the roomettes (and do it quick, before someone else does). The family bedroom is nice but, having seen it, I would agree that it's not $600 worth of nice. The deluxe bedroom is also worth checking if you and the 7 year old don't mind sharing a 40" wide (twin size) bed. Personally, I'd prefer the two roomettes and everyone having his own bed.

Floor space in the roomette is certainly cramped, but since your two kids are train travel veterans this shouldn't bother them in the slightest. Just bring along something to keep them busy and amused such as coloring books, playing cards or dominoes, a Game Boy or Ipod, maybe even a DVD player or laptop computer-you will have a single electrical outlet in each room, although sometimes it's recessed and difficult to plug a "brick" type charger into (short extension cords or power strips can save the day). Do keep anything expensive out of view, especially when you're not in the room - the sleeper attendant tries to keep an eye on things but he can't be everywhere at once.

Do have a great trip. I predict that after you sample travel by sleeper, you'll never want to go back to coach!

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent advice here. I don't really have anything to add, but I didn't want Southwest Chief to get all the fuzzy critter credit.

-

Oh, I might mention, that Amtrak consistently does very good chicken dinners. Burgers are pretty decent, too. Avoid fish.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cute....Now everyone in unison...AWWWWWWW [Big Grin]

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Nurvana - I too would vote for the regular bedroom (not family) for the 3 of you -- you and your daughter could sleep comfortably on the lower bunk, and your son would do fine on the upper bunk. And if you keep your door open, you will be able to see out both sides of the train at the same time. The regular bedrooms also have a private enclosed bathroom (toilet-shower) in each room, which is accessible all the time, while roomettes do not. As others have said, roomettes are fine for one person, but with more than one, they can get quite cramped.

Have a great trip!! Let us know how it went when you return.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get 2 roomettes across the corridor from each other, then you can move from one roomette to the other to see different views. You can also send the 2 kids to play in one roomette while you lounge around in the other, if they are good enough to be alone for a little while. OTOH, if you book either of the larger rooms, you will have your own shower I think, though I am not familiar with the family bedroom.

Re food: It's not all gross, though some things are. For breakfast, I get various things, including often the Continental, and I sometimes carry my own banana and raisins to add to the cereal. For lunch, I get the chicken on a bun. For dinner, I get the beef tips if available, or the half a grilled chicken. I had some sort of pot pie that was pretty good too. For dessert, get the cheesecake, though the chocolate cake isn't bad.

The pork shanks can be good but they can also be dried out; ditto the pasta. Avoid at all costs something called turkey tenderloins. And I also would stay away from the chicken fried steak, which is often cold.

Of course, the last time I had a meal on board was August. Things could change in 2007. You might ask the person serving you what he or she recommends.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, the family room doesn't have a shower or toilet or sink as does the bedroom.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seattle Shue
Member # 4363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seattle Shue         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m with Southwest Chief on this; I really dislike the family room. We found it to be fairly cramped and dark. The smaller windows definitely make a difference. And yes, the wheel noise was quite loud.

Like others, I have traveled in all sleeper accommodations and my favorite by far is the roomette. I guess it all boils down to personal preference, but even though the space is cozy, I also find it to be the most comfortable. Add in the big window for great scenery viewing and it’s my choice for “best accommodation.”

Whatever you decide, I’m guessing that you will have a wonderful trip. After years of riding coach, the only disappointment I experienced on my first sleeper trip was that we arrived at my destination and they actually made me get off the train!

Posts: 31 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitely forget about the family room then! $600 more and you don't even get your own toilet???
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd vote for the two roomettes also - especially if you can get them on the upper level. Although the lower level is more convenient for the bathrooms, the view is superior from "up-top".

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feveredwthesunset
Member # 4713

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for feveredwthesunset         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend either the regular bedroom (if you are average size or smaller) or the family bedroom rather than the two facing roomettes for these reasons:

1. The lower berth in either type of bedroom is a three-quarter bed size, not a twin as another poster stated. If you aren't particularly large you and your daughter should be fine sharing that berth in the regular bedroom, and your son can sleep in the narrow upper berth. In the family bedroom you could have the large lower berth to yourself, your son the berth above, and your daughter one of the shorter child-size berths. (OTOH, the lower berth in the roomettes is very narrow, much narrower than a twin bed width.)

2. There's a lot more to choosing your sleeper quarters than the nighttime sleeping arrangements. What will the daylight hours be like? If you are in a bedroom you can spend the day together as a family. If you go with the two roomettes it won't feel the same. Even if both your kids are really skinny and could fit in one roomette seat, it would be claustrophobic to try to all sit together in one roomette; you would have to ride split up. And even if you're right across the aisle from each other with the doors and curtains open, there's too much train noise when the train is moving to to carry on a conversation across the aisle in a normal tone of voice. Your throats would get hoarse and the noise would disturb the other passengers. It would not seem like you were traveling together as a family if one of you were sitting across the aisle in another roomette.

3. As another poster pointed out, there is basically no floor space in a roomette. A family bedroom has the most floor space, but even the regular bedroom has some. That can make a big difference in kids' enjoyment of a train trip! Riding in the coach car is a more open and less confining experience than riding in the sleepers, though certainly less private and comfortable for sleeping. They may find the sleeper experience cramped in comparison. Of course, I recommend moving about the train, eating meals in the diner rather than your room, spending some time in the sightseer loaunge car, and getting out and stretching your legs at the smoke stops. Still, I think your kids are likely to get more restless riding in roomettes than in a bedroom where they will have a little more freedom of movement and space to play.

Just my two cents.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happen to like the salmon. I think it's very good.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hookedup
Member # 1691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hookedup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have made cross country trips on the Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and up the coast on the Coast Starlight.
I think that I would compare the prices of the 2 roomettes vs. the regular bedroom. I would choose the "bedroom" over the 2 roomettes, and the 2 roomettes over the family bedroom (if the price is better).
We have traveled in all three and I like the bedroom best because I like having my own bathroom, but if I have to use the regular bathroom then I would take the 2 roomettes. I am not a fan of the family bedroom. The windows are small!! And I have seen on many routes (esp the Sunset and SW Chief) the family bedroom can be outrageously priced.
I just am not a big fan of the family bedroom personally.

Posts: 45 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page