RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Fox Prison Break & Amtrak

Author Topic: Fox Prison Break & Amtrak
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched the latest Prison Break I had on TiVo. There were some great shots of classic Hi-Levels and an F40. All were in phase III paint with Amtrak lettering removed. Although the car numbers and type were visible in some scenes if you looked closely.

I was impressed with the many interior shots that are very hard to come by nowadays. Especially the scenes of the dorm area, and womens lounge/restroom. I believe these Hi-Levels were leased from the Museum of the American Railroad in Dallas Texas.

During the first train scene, it was interesting to see apparently file footage of a Superliner train in phase III (hard to tell but something inside me is saying Empire Builder) then watch the characters get off of a Hi-Level (in phase III) at an entirely different location. Clever quick editing, and my sister had to play it back to catch it, but not good enough to get by my trained Superliner/Hi-Level eyes.

There was also a staged "crash" scene with an F40 and the trainset of Hi-Level coach dorms and at least one full coach. The F40 was in phase III but with phase IV or Surfliner style silver on the top. It had a bizarre AN on the side and I looked for a road number but must have missed it or perhaps it was blanked out for TV. I later found these photos which show it was #343:

Prison Break Train 1
Prison Break Train 2

One thing I clearly noticed was the lack of a K5LA for the horn sound. It sort of looks like the horn may have been changed somewhere along its post Amtrak life. If not, the unprototypical horn sound could have been added later as is typical for TV or even movies.

Anyway, it was nice to see a popular TV show using a train. I was impressed that used double deck equipment. And I might have been hearing things but somewhere in the background before they boarded I thought I heard "train #3". Of course since they were heading to Chicago this is a bit wrong, should be #4, but hey at least they made the effort.

It was also nice to see phase III and Hi-Levels again. I sure remember those Hi-Level coaches and coach dorms with the manual doors, and large restrooms. Sometimes I wish these were still used on Superliner trains. At least we still have the Pacific Parlor car to appreciate the former Santa Fe Hi-Levels.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report Matt. I believe it was filmed at the Garland & Northeastern Railroad in Dallas. That is what I heard from another forum. Great Episode!
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Heartland Flyer uses two (somtimes three) Hi-Level coaches along with one Superliner. Here is a good pic

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=167092

Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good shot of the Heartland Flyer!

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes the Heartland Flyer...but I bet those Hi-Levels were fully rebuilt inside. I know the upstairs were.

Does anyone know what the restrooms are like on the few rebuilt coaches? I'm sure they don't have the dump to track toilets anymore, but were there any other changes? Do they still have the foot pedal sinks?

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page