RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Booking three into a Bedroom

Author Topic: Booking three into a Bedroom
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to take my kids on a LD Amtrak train again. Since the kids are still pretty small, I know they can bunk together in the lower berth in a bedroom and I could use the top. My problem is that I can't figure out how to make such a reservation using the Amtrak website.

If I type in three passengers, it won't let me choose just one bedroom since I have exceeded capacity. I also realize that the meal portion of the accomodation charge is based on only two people.

People of this forum often make this recommendationfor families, and having spend a couple of days in a family bedroom, I agree that the regular bedroom would be a better choice for us. Just can't figure out how to price it. Any tips?

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you asking about a bedroom or a roomette? Three in a bedroom is no problem for online booking, but it's not possible in a roomette. If the latter, call Julie.
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not call Amtrak at 1 800 usa rail and talk to an agent. I always do tht because I like to choose my room.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
train lady: I'd like to play around with my dates to see when I can get the best fare and on which routes I can get a good fare, which I don't think the Amtrak agents are too keen on.

stlboomer: I get the same error msg when trying to book three into a bedroom as in a roomette (which I know is entirely unfeasible).

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Apparently I am mistaken! I just tried choosing the bedroom and it works fine, although insanely priced! Two roomettes would be $376 but the bedroom is $862. Go figure! Strangley, I don't get the option to book two roomettes. However, I gather from comments I've read on the forum, in order get them across the hall from each other, I'd have to call an agent to select the specific compartment #.

Sorry for the bother, everyone.

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mary_228:
Two roomettes would be $376 but the bedroom is $862. Go figure!

Well you do get a private restroom, sink, and shower with the bedroom, it's bigger, and there are fewer bedrooms then roomettes per car. But I agree the price difference is extreme. That's why I like to travel in the Roomette's.

Have you looked into the Family Room to see what the rate would be? I personally dislike the Family Room, but there would be plenty of space for yourself and the two little ones.

My family of 5 (Dad, Mom, Me and 2 younger sisters) used to travel in the Family Room, but we "kids" are all too big now [Wink]

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my kids were small (about 10) I did book the 3 of us into a roomette. Since we spend all day in the sightseer lounge, it worked out ok. They had no problem sharing the lower bunk for sleeping. But they were twins, and formerly "womb mates".

I had to purchase a coach seat (unused) for the 3rd person, and only 2 of us got free meals.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page