RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Whither excursion fares?

Author Topic: Whither excursion fares?
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking, ---
Wait a minute. I know.
I AM going to take a huge trip sometime this year (likely late October).
Where have the Explore America fares gone? Previously known as All Aboard America fares, this excursion fare gives you as many 'zones' of the country to travel across with up to three stopovers for one set price. Do these fares still exist? I can't seem to find them on the web page. This is the reason why I'm waiting until late October since the off-peak fare structure cuts back in right around then.
SDY-CHI-PDX-LAX-CHI-SDY maybe?
SDY-NYP-WAS-(Cardinal)CHI-PDX-LAX-CHI-SDY maybe?
I'm thinking about covering the country in three loops on three successive years. Maybe make the first year Builder-Starlight-Chief, the second year Zephyr-Starlight-Sunset-City, and the third Eagle-Sunset-Crescent, G. F. they could get the eastern Sunset started back up.
Depending on what happens with the AGR credit card, I have points to burn.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click on "Hot Deals" near top of Amtrak home page.
Then scroll down to "Rail Passes and Programs".
There you will find the North America Railpass. You must have one segment of your trip be in Canada.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want one segment of my trip to be in Canada. The old three-zone excursion fares (which they had last year) did not require this.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you call Amtrak's 800 telephone number they will book Explore America fares for you. It still exists.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak 207
I just completed a 3-zone Explore America trip. It still exists but be careful there are black out periods. The trip has to begin and end in what Amtrak deems off peak travel time. As Pojon says call the 800 number and they can give you the restricted dates and you can plan from there.
Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The All-Aboard-America fare became the Explore-America fare. Still a great excursion fare. Use it correctly and you will have 3 stop-overs and if you are even smarter you can have 3 more forced stop-overs (in New Orleans, Washington, D. C. and New York or Chicago, etc.) that will really expand your trip at the same fare.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the helpful information!
I was going to call up Droolie and wait for the jabbering greeting and then ask to speak to an "Asian."
It works every time, LOL!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page