RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Question about grub

Author Topic: Question about grub
cdnfan32
Member # 4674

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdnfan32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our family of four will be taking the Capitol Limited (with sleeper accommodation)this spring from Chicago to Washington (after arriving on the Empire Builder in Chi.). My question is this: will we get dinner on the Capitol Ltd. (which departs Chi. at 7:05pm) or should we eat during our layover in Chicago? Thx for any advice.
Posts: 16 | From: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
diner was always served but things have been changing so rapidly lately one never knows. I would suggest you call Amtrak and ask an agent. Being a long range worrier I would then call again just before I left.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the Lske Shore Limited a few weeks ago, and it left Chicago at 7:55 p.m. We in the sleepers were boarded at 7:30 p.m. and the diner was open right away for us. Probably is for the Capitol, but as Train Lady suggested, it'd be a good idea to call Amtrak just in case.

HOWEVER, I found the "simplified dining service" food, well, less than palatable. If you have reasonably high standards in what you eat, I'd dine elsewhere before departure.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cdnfan32
Member # 4674

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdnfan32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice. Will call Amtrak. As for our standards - fortunately, they're very low!
Posts: 16 | From: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traveled on the Capitol Ltd. in January 2007, and sleeping car passengers were taken to the dining car shortly after departing Chicago. Coach passengers were given reservations and the dining car was open until about 10:00 pm.

I thought the meals were excellent.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The diner is always a coin toss. Even on the Empire Builder, the train that touts a kitchen. As far as Im concerned it is the crew that makes the food excellent to poor. I have been served good food on all lines, Empire Builder, Silver Star, Capitol Limited, CZ and Coast Starlite in the past 18 months.
It does seem that over all the quality it going down but by no means awful, of course an old GI is easy to please. In November the staff in the diner opened up just for the people who boarded in Tampa to serve lunch. Again I think its up to the crew.

Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all of my trips I've had good meals and not so good ones. But Amtrak has always served a great chicken dinner every time. For lunch the burgers are pretty decent, too.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page