RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Albuquerque Question ~ Calling Chucky

Author Topic: Albuquerque Question ~ Calling Chucky
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question for Charles Rueben....or anyone familiar with Albuquerque...

I'll be arriving in Albuquerque on train #3 one Friday in April and flying back to the eastern time zone from Albuquerque the following day.

Would you remind me of the route number for the city bus which leaves the nice transportation center adjacent to the Ampit and operates out to the airport? It's the route that swings through town and then through the University of New Mexico campus before heading for the airport.

ALSO - I have used this bus a couple of times in the past and recall that south of the campus it passes at least a couple of motor hotel type places. What are the names of some of these hotels? I'm going to need a room for the night and would love to be able to do one using just the city bus for local transit. I generally stay at Red Roof Inn type hotels so I'm not looking for someplace fancy......just someplace clean and reasonably safe.

Finally - anything culturally great happening in Albuquerque in mid-April - a symphony concert or something musical at the University? Theatre happenings etc.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have,

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David we may be on the same train--Im getting on #3 in Chicago on the 5th of April. A friend and I are doing a Portland to Chicago to Lax to Portland trip for the ride.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bus route you want is # 50. It runs every hour or so on the weekends, every half hour during the week.

The NMSO is presenting the Emerson String Quartet on April 13. The NMSO concert on April 27 is:

Grieg, Sonata No. 3 in C minor, Figueroa and Kern
Glinka, Ruslan and Ludmilla, overture
Shostakovich, Symphony No. 6
Rachmaninoff, Piano Concerto No. 3

I know two of the musicians in the orchestra. It will be a good concert.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bus 50.....there you go.

Sorry Wayne but I'm departing CUS on 4-12...that would put me in Albuquerque for the Emerson String Quartet......could be interesting but the symphony concert on the 27th sounds better though. One of my favorite music professors 25 years ago always said that when someone declares "I know what I like", that person is really saying "I like what I know!"

I'm familiar with the entire repertoire for the 27th and it's true.....I like what I know! I might look for a 'cheap seat' to the string quartet if #3 is reasonably close to on-time that afternoon.

Hotel suggestions anyone?

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the website where you can obtain/print bus schedules:

http://www.cabq.gov/transit/

I have a current AAA book where I could look up some lodging in the University/Airport area when I have more time. My favorite is the Best Western American Inn, but it is way east up Central. Central has many motels and is served by frequent bus service.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi notelvis,

Unfortunately my favorite hotel, the La Posada Hotel, has gone broke and lies vacant in downtown Albuquerque. Another great landmark faces the wrecking ball.

Visitors have had lots of luck staying at a place called the plaza inn ( http://www.plazainnabq.com/ ). It's not as affordable as it used to be, but it is in a nice location and they have an inhouse van, so you don't necessarily have to take the bus.

There is also an Econo Lodge near the botanical gardens, by the river, for around $50/night I think. That is a great location if you want to be near the zoo and the aquarium, and within spitting distance of our new "Rapid Ride" bus system.

The Outpost Performance Space ( http://www.outpostspace.org/ ) has lots of neat things going on in April. Check it out. They are located right in the middle of the University Area.

--------------------
Please visit "Chucksville" at http://www.chucksville.com and sign my guestbook!

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Thanks Charles......

I appreciate the links and will browse them in a couple of days (Thursday probably) when I get past my current period of long meetings and 11-12 hour days!

--------------------
David Pressley

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are the names of some of the motels on Yale Blvd (Bus route 50) by the ABQ Airport:

Ramada Limited, 1801 Yale, $45-65, 505-242-0036
Sleep Inn, 2300 International Av SE, $70, 505-244-3325
Fairfield Inn, 2300 Centre Av SE, $59-89, 505-247-1621
Comfort Inn, 2300 Yale, $59-99, 505-243-2244
La Quinta Inn, 2116 Yale, $78-108, 505-243-5500

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Hey Folks,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've got the basic framework for my trip planned and booked now. I'll do a separate thread about that just because.....

Charles, the Plaza Hotel looks like a good option. The courtesy shuttle is a real plus. I was able to book there for under $70.00 before tax. I liked the fact that it appears to have the basic amenities you expect from a big chain hotel but with a unique location and vista. Just what I had in mind for my 16 hours in Albuquerque.

TwinStar, a railfan friend and I are planning a photographic safari later this year to the Colorado narrow guage railroads. The list of hotels you've provided will come in handy as we will likely come and go through ABQ.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page