RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » is a laptop with 120 volts okay to plug in

Author Topic: is a laptop with 120 volts okay to plug in
jaypee00
Member # 1547

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for jaypee00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was wondering if its oaky to plug something in thats 120 volts, i will be in a sleeper going from la to chicago..also was wondering what time does there snack car open until..also was told to go to the observation car to check out scenery..any info will help especially info on the power outlets
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"was wondering if its oaky to plug something in thats 120 volts . . ."

Sure, that's what those outlets were designed for. I don't know what the likelyhood of a power surge would be (very slim, I'm sure), so you might want to bring a surge protector if it's for a laptop.

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't be a problem...

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend a power strip with a spike protector, just in case the train power spikes. It happens.......
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salmon_beach_amtrak
Member # 1585

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for salmon_beach_amtrak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bring my laptop---it runs on 120 volts. It is a good idea to bring a surge protector/power strip though. I had an electric toothbrush that needed to be charged, and I also had my laptop. Standard US 120V. The reason I say to bring a surge protector is because sometimes they shut off the power without warning. On my Coast Starlight trip (#14), the power was shut off while they removed the CalTran engine on the front. They just started a movie in the Pacific Parlour when the power went out for some 25 minutes. Surges can result when they turn the power back on at the HEP engine.
Posts: 5 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page