RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Megabus to Pittsburgh

Author Topic: Megabus to Pittsburgh
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today's news in Pittsburgh featured a story on the arrival of Megabus, beginning April 2, 2007. There are two departures daily with one-way prices ranging from $ 15 - $ 25, and some of those $ 1 special seats from time to time. The route is through Cleveland and Toledo to Chicago, approximately the same time as the Capitol Ltd. of it is on-time. The "stop" is along the street at 10th and Penn Ave.

The cost of Amtrak's once-a-day service to Chicago is $ 55 for coach seat, mid-April, Greyhound would be slightly less.

The Megabus web site shows service expansions to Louisville and Kansas City the same day.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This from Chicago...

http://www.suntimes.com/business/232368,CST-FIN-Bus28.article

http://www.chicagoist.com/archives/2006/03/23/dollar_bus_rolls_into_town.php

Does Amtrak have even more competition that is doenst need in this market? Will the 'Cheaper than Gas' 300-Series routes loose ridership? I did find April07 dates Chicago-Kansas City for ONE dollar!!!

Saturday April 21, 2007
8:45 AM Depart Chicago, Union Station
Arrive Kansas City KCATA at 10th St and Main St 5:45 PM
1 seat = $1.00

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMmmmm could they cut the time from NYC to Pittsburgh as well ?
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bus is, in my mind, akin to planes. It is restricting in terms of moving around, food is available when it is scheduled to stop and the seats are not as comfortable as the train. In short it's the old story of you get what you pay for. I guess that puts me in the not in this lifetime will I ride the bus if I can possibly help it catagory.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This same company has operated Megatrains and Megabus in the UK for sometime. I was just on their website and will book a 1GBP bus to Brighton from London as soon as it's available for the date I want. (They have a 45 day window.) They operate their own busses and the trains are operated by SouthWest Trains and Virgin Trains. On SouthWest there is a dedicated Megatrains carriage but on Virgin you can sit in any non-reserved carriage.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page