RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cardinal or Capitol ?

Author Topic: Cardinal or Capitol ?
Passenger Rail Fan
Member # 4899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Passenger Rail Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would be the best route for the return trip from Savannah to Chicago?
Going out on Capitol/Meteor
Return? Silver Star/Capital OR
Meteor/Cardinal
I realize that it's "tighter" planning since the Cardinal is only 3 days a week (S,W,F.)
Anyone have experience with this route and can suggest pro/cons.
Also, suggestions for the best sights to see in Savannah?
THANKS!

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to love going wesr on the Capital and east on the Cardinal. But now with no diner and no checked baggage on the Cardinal we take the Capital both ways. The Cardinal does have beautiful scenery going east but there are only 2 bedrooms and we found that the chair was so close to the bathroom door it was a chore getting in. The plus is the roomettes do have a sink and toilet in the room. If however there are two of you if you want privacy while using the facilities one must stand in the hall.There is no "foyer" as on the superliners. That being said I guess it depends on what appeals to you.
Take a tour bus in Savanah and you can decided what you want to go back to see. We thought it amusing that the cemetary is/was divided up so the born there had one section and the "outsiders" had another. Also notice that bottom of some of the downspouts are dolphin heads.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Passenger Rail Fan, I would go TO Savannah on the Cardinal, return on the Capital. OR if you can't do that, I would just go round trip on the Capital. Reason: On the Cardinal westbound, so much of the nice scenery is at night. The Cardinal is a less comfortable train, without the nice observation-car-type-lounge. And the scenery on the westbound Capital, at least from May-Sept when I've taken it, is quite nice enough the first night westbound out of DC--Harpers Ferry station and Martinsburg roundhouse esp worth seeing.

Re things to do and see in Savannah: It's a city with lovely architecture, many old homes restored, esp around the city's many squares--you'll want to see the squares, plus Forsyth Park I think is the one with the Forest Gump fountain? plus some buildings inside if possible, and maybe also that cemetery--see if you can take some kind of architecture-homes&gardens-cum-history walking tour; if not, you can try that red trolley/bus, which goes (or went) around the historic part of the city; there are also buggy tours; but I like to walk. Also try to take a ghost tour in the evening (check at your hotel). Of course, walk on the River Walk (go inside the Marriott there to see the lobby, too; and maybe take the boat over to the hotel on the island, Westin I think?). Oglethorpe Av is an attractive street to walk on. And the City Market area is another don't miss, popular with tourists; when I was there, I loved having lunch at Lady & Son by the City Market (they came around with free pancakes and syrup!), though dinner was of less interest; I also had a fantastic meal at Bistro Savannah nearby, don't know if it's still good.

Specific buildings of possible interest (on the squares, generally) (I only got to a few of these) include Green-Meldrim Mansion, 14 W Macon by Bull St at Madison Sq, 912-232-1251, Sherman's Civil War HQ & a fine example neo-Gothic architecture with magnificent interior; Davenport House, 324 E State St, 912-236-8097, a historic Federal-style home, built btw 1815-20, launched Savannah's historic preservation movement 1950s; Owens-Thomas House, 124 Abercorn St, 912-233-9743, 1 of finest examples of Regency architecture in US, with formal English garden, restored carriage house; Customs House, Bull St & Bay St; Cathedral of St John the Baptist, Abercorn nr Lafayette Sq, RC cathedral recently restored; the Mickve Israel Synagogue, 20 E Gordon, one of the five colonial-era congregations in the US, the Independent Presbyterian Church on Bull near Oglethorpe; and Wesley Monumental United Methodist Church, on Calhoun Sq; and the Second African Baptist Church, 123 Houston St, 912-233-6163. In general, Oglethorpe welcomed all religions so there are a lot of interesting churches. You can also see the Juliette Gordon Low House, 142 Bull St, 912-233-4501, birthplace Girl Scouts founder, restored to 1800s appearance; period antiques, artifacts fr/ Low's life, a popular destination of Girl Scouts (except I think I heard it may be closed for restoration--well check) and, occasionally open, the Flannery O'Connor House, 207 E Charlton St, 912-927-5289, childhood home of writer.

Battlefield Park Heritage Center, 300 Martin Luther King Boulevard, 912-651-6840), on the site of a Revolutionary War battle, is home to a fascinating railroad museum, including a roundhouse that dates to 1845. It holds what are considered the nation's best surviving examples of pre-Civil War railroad structures. The red trolleys start (or used to start--it's been several years since I've been here) by here. Also by here is the Savannah History Museum & Visitors Center, 303 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, 912-238-1779, with story of Savannah fr 1733 to present. The museum can provide you with a walking map too. It also had on display Forrest Gump's bench and the "Bird Girl" statue on the cover of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. (Even though it's a creepy book that I never read, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, a best seller by Berendt I think, is intimately tied to Savannah architecture/sights--any sightseeing you do will likely mention it, it's a big deal there, so you might want to read it before you go.)

If you have a car, you may be interested in visiting Tybee Island, which we did and very much enjoyed; just walking on the beach a little off season is nice (we were there in February) and lunching where you can view the beach; don't know what it's like when it gets busy. Fort Screven is there.

The current train station is fairly far from town so you likely will have a long taxi ride; it wasn't too expensive when I was there and I had no trouble getting one (and I came up from FL and arrived in the middle of the night, as I vaguely recall) but you may want to phone in advance (like from your cell phone on the train) . I also was told that some areas present safety factors for a woman alone esp at night so be careful not to wander too far afield without checking the neighborhoods in advance.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with Sojourner.....but with an extra caveat.

I prefer the Cardinal eastbound in the winter, early spring, or late fall. With single level equipment you see more on that route when there are no leaves on the trees.

As others have pointed out, a ride on the Cardinal means sacrificing the checked luggage (not a biggie for me) and accepting meal service only slightly better than your typical Amtrak lounge car.

One final suggestion.....If the Cardinal is running late eastbound you can still make your connection to the Silver Meteor by taking the thruway bus from Charlottesville to Richmond and getting the Meteor there.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Passenger Rail Fan
Member # 4899

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Passenger Rail Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you to all who responded to my questions. Much appreciation for all the Savannah information. I was told the Amtrak Station was about 10 minutes from the "Planters Inn". Can anyone confirm this?
It looks like we will take the Capitol round trip...given the information about the Cardinal...perhaps another time for that one.
Hopefully AMTRAK funding will continue in a positive mode. Train travel is the only way to go!
Thanks again!
Passenger Rail Fan

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest if yo are taking the Palmetto to Savanah go business class. It is far more comfortable. We were given pillows and blankets and the soft drinks and juices were right in the car
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page