RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Guest Rewards Questions

Author Topic: Guest Rewards Questions
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

I have been away from this forum for quite some time (too much work, not enough time).

I have 146,000 Guest Rewards points that are burning a hole in my pocket.

I want to take my family of 4 from FTW to CHI this summer. Can I:

- Use my Guest Rewards points to book 2 roundtrip sleepers?

- Can I book the trip now (while sleepers are still available) for travel in July?

- Does the room cost 20,000 points per person?
Point requirements according to the Guest Rewards program:

Roomette/Accessible Bedroom 15,000
Bedroom 20,000
Reserved Coach 5,500
Business Class 6,500

So is the total required:

20,000 points X 2 people X 2 rooms X 2 trips = 160,000 points?

Or

{(20,000 points X 2 rooms) + (5,500 points X 2 people)} x 2 trips = 102,000 points?

Is there a catch or can I really take my family on this trip for free?

Do you have any tips or things to watch out for?

Thanks,

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you booked 2 bedrooms between FTW & CHI for your family, you would burn 80,000 guest reward points.

The 20,000 gets you the bedroom and 2 or 3 passenger fares one way to CHI.

As an FYI, bedrooms D & E or B & C can be combined into one large room.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can and should book now for a July trip. As Mike said, the 20,000 is for the room and includes the fares of passengers that ride in it.

You have to book the trip through the Guest Rewards department and not at the regular reservations number. They can answer any questions that you have.

Recently I did a trip of 3 regions, but only had enough points for two. I had to book one part through Guest Rewards and the other part through regular reservations.

I also found that I could not combine my guest rewards points with those of my wife for a given trip, even though she was going with me.

The information on combining bedrooms is good advice. Just avoid bedroom A which is somewhat smaller.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for your help. I'm now in the process of working out the details. It has been 4 and 1/2 years since I have ridden the rails (in the US, anyway).

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page