RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » laptop advice

Author Topic: laptop advice
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been making and playing my own CDs on a Walkman during my long-distance trips, but carrying around CDs is a pain, so I was thinking of getting an iPOD. But then I realized I might be much better off getting a laptop, because I could do work on it too. That would be enormously helpful to me financially, if I could work a little when I travel!

One problem for me, though, is that I don't want anything heavy, and I mean heavy for me (think weakling girl, any weight is heavy). At the same time, I need a readable screen for lots of word processing.

Also, I need to be able to get files material from my home computer to this laptop--and I am very computer/electronic stupid. Would I do it via email?

Also, aren't there some Amtrak trains that do not have plugs I can use for my laptop? I always see people running around looking for places to charge their cellphones, so am I to take it that coach on the long-distance trains do not have plugs? I never really noticed because my Walkman is battery operated and I generally charge my cell phone in sleepers or hotels. However, when I've looked for a plug in coach, it's been there, but maybe that is only on the Northeast corridor trains?

I am told that laptops can be operated off batteries, but that they work much more poorly then. Is that true of just playing music? In other words, if there is no plug in the observation car and I want to listen to music off my laptap, will I be able to using the batteries?

Also, what do people do for email and Internet service? What exactly is wireless, and how much does it cost? Do you use it at home too?

Finally, what about theft problems? Does having a laptop mean I have to take it with me, for example, when I change trains in Chicago and leave luggage at the Metropolitan Lounge, should I not leave my laptop there? I really am very worried about the weight. . . .

I hope I haven't gone too off topic here in asking this advice.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken laptops with me on trains all around the country. Laptops work fine on battery power -- it's just that the batteries last generally for three or four hours before they have to be recharged. Laptops generally are set run a bit more slowly on battery power than house power, to conserve the battery, but this should not affect music at all.

All sleeper rooms have electric outlets that can be used to recharge laptop batteries. Be aware, however, that if you have an Apple iBook or Macbook, the power cube may be too large to fit inside the recessed outlets of some of the refurbished Superliner economy sleeper rooms. I insert a $2 three-way plug from the hardware store into the outlet, and this gives plenty of clearance for the Apple power cube.

It's often difficult to find an outlet in a Superliner coach, although the single-level coaches in the East often have them at every seat. Not always, though -- best to check.

I have recharged my laptop in the lounge car several times -- there are two outlets upstairs and one downstairs. Gotta get there before the crowd, though.

Most new laptops have built-in wireless antennae. You will need an Internet provider of some kind to get your email -- Yahoo and MSN are free. Most hotels and motels have free wireless -- but check before booking.

I NEVER leave my laptop unattended in my sleeper room or coach seat. I always, always carry it with me, to the lounge car and dining car.

For peace of mind I don't check my laptop in the baggage check room at the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, but others do with theirs. It's probably quite safe, but I'm just too nervous.

Most laptops weigh 5 or 6 pounds with power cube -- my iBook and Macbook are both 5-pounders. The weight can climb, however, if you put a lot of stuff into your laptop bag.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the easiest ways of moving things between two computers is a jump drive, a very small portable storage device that you plug into a USB port. Your PC will recognize it when you plug it in, and you can copy things to it as if it were a drive on your PC, then just plug it into another PC and copy from it. You can also store your files permanantly on it so they would be updated from any PC. They cost upwards of $20 depending on capacity and hold tons of data. They are about the size of a small pen knife.

I use a universal cable lock so I can lock my laptop to the upper luggage rack in coach, or inside the superliner bedroom closet. Laptops come with a fitting for these and they are inexpensive. I also lock it to a chair or desk in motels when I am gone. It might deter the casual amateur thief.

The most fun I have with my laptop on a train is the GPS attachment and mapping software I bought for about $100. You can watch your train move along a map on your PC as well as monitor speed and altitude, without the internet.

You can also use your laptop as a DVD player while travelling, but I prefer to just look out the window. It is nice to have in motels so you can hook up with Trainweb, check e-mail, weather, train status, etc; even change itinerary en route.

On the downside, it is another heavy piece of luggage to tote around. You need a well padded case for travelling. Laptops do come very small, but then your screen will be small and difficult to read.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have in the past lugged a laptop around with me while traveling, but I don't any more. If I really feel compelled to check E-mail on the road I go to an Internet cafe or Kinkos or someplace like that. Of course, it doen'st make much difference. The government agency I work for doesn't have a webmail system so I can't check my E-mail when I'm outside the office. They think they have a webmail system, and I can check my work E-mail from a web browser, but only on an agency computer. Helpful.

If I want to write--and I do that lot--I write in my journal. It doesn't need a battery and it doesn't make any difference how close I am to a plug.

Get an iPod. You can listen to music, you can download and watch movies--really--and even download and watch TV shows. You can put an INcredible amount of music on an iPod. You can put it in your pocket.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner
While a laptop comes in handy (and I do take mine with me), no matter how little the weight it seems to get heavier as time goes by. (Think of small child that is easy to carry for the first few minutes but grows heavier the longer and further you carry). When you purchase a carry case for it be sure to look into ones with wheels and a handle similar to a pilots case. In any case it will becomes one extra piece of luggage to tote around.

While I have no qualms about leaving it in the Metro Lounge storage at Chicago - I have had an attendent refuse to take it. He claimed they are not allowed to take electronic equipment. Others have checked it in -- so I am not sure of the exact policy.

Most trains that I have ridden do have outlets. Batteries do work for a few hours but they require recharging freqently.

As for the techie questions - I have developed my own "systems" but I would do more to confuse than help you. I will leave answering those to those more knowledgeable than I.

Dee (who wants an IPOD for Mothers Day)

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good advice so far. I will add:

I'm not sure how "clean" the voltage is at the outlets on the train, so I would recommend taking a small surge supressor.

To move files between conputers, just get a USB memory stick. It functions like another drive on your computer, but fits in your pocket. You can easily use it for backing up your files while traveling, too. They won't hold many photos or large files, but for text documents and spreadsheets it'll have more than enough space.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go the laptop route (but others' comments here are equally valid about NOT taking a laptop), make sure you get one that is under 2.5kg, or under 5lbs. Even better, 2kg. However, the lighter they are, the more expensive they tend to be. There are even lighter ones than this but then you start sacrificing screen size instead.

If you want to play music, transfer it ontonhard drive first. A whirring CD drive will drain battery power. A USB stick can be useful but that is another, albeit small, drain on batteries.

Talking of batteries, take about 1/3 off the manufacturer's "estimated" battery life - they always seem hopelessly optimistic. Most batteries power laptops for about 2 to 2.5 hours if you keep power usage to a minimum.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I forgot to mention: If you do work on your laptop while traveling, work that earns you money, then you can expense the cost of travel on your Schedule C. But keep careful records of the work you have done and the time you have spent on it in case the IRS challenges you.

Suddenly the five pounds of a laptop seems much lighter.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, deducting the cost of travel in the manner you suggest is sure to raise a red flag at the IRS, and will almost certainly trigger an audit. You can expense the cost of the laptop based on the proportion of its business use vs. personal use, but the travel expense itself is only deductible to the extent that it was business-related, and not simply because you "worked on your business" while traveling.

Anyway, it's always a good idea not to dispense tax advice without the caveat for one to check with a professional tax advisor.

Ocala Mike
(Former Income Tax Auditor with NY State)

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Mike, you are absolutely correct. Thanks for adding that the travel expense is deductible to the extent that it was business related. You are also right that Sojourner should check with a tax professional. I should have added that caveat.

By the way, I am a professional writer, and I travel in order to write and make money. I've carefully vetted the entire issue with a tax professional.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, I am well aware of your skills as a writer, having just taken a trip from CHI to SLC on #5 in early December (before the bad weather hit), and following that up with an enjoyable read of your book about the Zephyr.

Interestingly enough, and I hope you caught it on RFD-TV, I just watched an hour-long presentation about the CZ's history on "Trains and Locomotives." It will be repeated tonight at some ungodly hour, and also Sat. at 9:00 am EST.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, all, for your advice. I checked out computers at some website and visited Best Buy to see some up close and personal. I especially looked at screens, testing out the smallest in the store, a 13.3" SONY, which seemed OK to me, although the price was way above my budget. That one was also the lightest in the store, weighed 4.11 lbs.

On the web, HP Compaq has one for only 2.8 pounds with a 12.1" screen, but again, too pricey--though not as bad as SONY. Dell had a better buy with a 12.1" screen, at 4.37 lbs. The one that looked best, pricewise and weightwise, was Gateway, an Ultraportable, as they call it; also 12.1" screen but weight was only 3.52 lbs, and it was quite a bit less pricewise than HP. Does anyone know if that is a good one?

I'm wondering if I'll be OK with the 12" screen. Since I could use SONY's 13" screen at the store, I'm hoping it won't be a problem, but who knows? I am also even more concerned about the battery situation; I don't think I'm going to want to keep charging it up all the time, and I really don't want to be without music on a long trip. Nor do I want to have to carry another thing in addition to the computer! So I have to think some more about this. . . . Does anyone know which trains have outlets and which don't? I see plenty of outlets on the Empire and Keystone Service, and the NE corridor trains. Is it only Superliners that don't have them?

Also, re the surge protector: Do I need a special one, or will any one do? Shall I get one with an extension cord? What do you recommend?

Re carrying case: I definitely don't want wheelable, I have enough trouble wheeling one suitcase! And presumably with these lighter ones I won't need that (I hope). But shoulder strap sound like a good idea. What do you recommend with regard to lightweight yet padded cases? Are those rubbery ones any good?

Thanks so much to all for the info!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to a surge protector, I have heard that laptops control voltage variance ok without them, since they are built to alternate between battery and AC power anyway. Just be sure the plug end of the AC adaptor is small enough to work in a recessed Amtrak AC outlet. Most are.

If you have a Superliner bedroom, you will always have AC power. Coach is the only problem.

I suggest you try a 12" screen before buying. Things really are pretty small on it.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the case, I would suggest one of those backpack/rucksacks you can get that are designed for laptops. They're the size of a typical daypack - and it doesn't scream to would-be thieves, "look what I've got in my bag", like a laptop case does. Plus, you can stuff any other items you require in there. That then leaves your hands free for wheeling your other case and holding on to handrails.

Surge protectors are for dealing with the voltage spikes you may get on Superliners and/or other older trains. A sensitive device like a laptop can be reduced to an expensive lap tray by a stray voltage spike. While they may be able to deal with voltages from just a few volts to 240v, few will survive a 400v surge (or worse).

As few conductors will be happy with you stringing cables everywhere, just a short extension cord will probably do (1-2m, or 6ft, or whatever units you use!).

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning, Sojourner! If you are going in sleeper, you may want to buy an adapter for the laptop, which will fit into the recessed outlet, then you plug your laptop into the other side of the adapter.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Geoff said, get a backpack. I've used the shoulder bags, and even with a "lightweight" laptop, they get very heavy. I have a Targus backpack. I found mine at Target for $25. My Dell is about 5 pounds. Even with my bag stuffed with tons of personal items, I can walk around with the pack for hours. I also have a camera day pack which holds a ton of camera equipment, my laptop, and a lot of other stuff. Probably 15lbs when loaded. And I hike with it, though usually w/o the laptop. Either way, no problem with the pack. The weight of the laptop becomes a non- issue.

That said, If you are serious about a laptop, get a large, wide screen and no less than a 100GB hard drive. You can carry a few DVDs with you, keep hundred of albums in .mp3 format, and do tons of other things.

For what it's worth, I'm not taking the laptop on our upcoming rail trip. Much of our time in Yosemite is going to be spent on trails and I didn't want to leave the laptop in our room. So I bought a portable hard drive for storing photos and .mp3s, as well as a portable DVD player. I figured if the later is stolen, losing $150 is better than losing $1000. Then I discovered the PacSafe.
I found one on E-bay for half price. Now, I'd take the laptop, but I already bought the other stuff, and think we're going to like the smaller items on train and plane trips anyway.

--------------------
Chuck

“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner

I do not have a laptop but do use my desktop quite a bit. For the non techie I'd suggest going to an Apple store and spend a morning there so they can thouroughly explain everything you ever wanted to know.

Their customer service is excellent and will be a help after you get it (then you can talk to the real experts at the 'genius bar'). Of course they can help with Ipod too. You can find store locations here:
http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

Early morning just after it opens is the best time.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page