RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » what is going on with the capitol ltd

Author Topic: what is going on with the capitol ltd
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak website says train #29 will be over 13 hours late to Chicago. Does anyone know what the problem is and whether I should be worried about connections later this spring?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be on number 29 April 11 making a same day connection in Chicago to number 3.

I didn't think I had anything to worry about until now.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cdnfan32
Member # 4674

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdnfan32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In June our family is taking a long trip from Grand Forks to Chicago and then the Capitol Limited to Washington and a final short connection to Wilmington, Delaware for my wife's parents' 50th wedding anniversary celebration. I've been monitoring the Capitol Limited's performance since I got worried about making the connection in Washington and I can tell you that in the last 30 days, arrival in Washington has been an average of about 4 and half hours late (although the one time it was 18 hours late kind of skews the average).

I posted a question here about this some weeks ago and most folks figured it was weather related; now I'm worried it's more of a chronic problem. If we wander into my in-laws' anniversary party just as it's wrapping up, my name will be "Mud" and it'll be the last time I get to design the family trip itinerary!

Posts: 16 | From: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not totally sure, but do know #30 (31) is running 5-6 hours late due to NS derailment, so am guessing #29 (30) was probably majorly impacted due to same?
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cdnfan32
Member # 4674

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdnfan32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know where the NS derailment was and when?
Thx

Posts: 16 | From: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No not really, just received info from amtrak this AM regarding what I posted and was estimated to be in Pgh approx 5-6 hours late.
So, between Cle and Pgh maybe?

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSX derailed 40 miles East of Pittsburgh, apparently at a switch. I was aboard 30(30) which had encountered its own misfortunes before and after we boarded (engine HEP issues, an apparent crossing accident), then slowed to creep through the derailment site, whose evidence was just a disconnected switch, and a 300' section of newly laid track that had yet to be tamped.

Riding 30(30) from PGH to WAS, we passed both 29(30) (very very late) near PGH and 29(31)(about on time) near Martinsburg.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the info. It sounds like it won't be an ongoing problem, thank goodness!

Hope you enjoyed your travels regardless, Liberty Limited

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
As I mentioned in another strand, I just spoke with an Amtrak person who had phoned me about a slight schedule change (unrelated to LSL/Capitol Ltd). She checked and told me that these (continuing) horrendous delays on the Capitol Ltd in the past few weeks are due to track work due to end April 12. So . . . I hope she is right!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page