RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report - Pacific Surfliner LA to SBA

Author Topic: Trip Report - Pacific Surfliner LA to SBA
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took a quick trip on the Surfliner on Saturday, from LAUS to SBA. Trains were on time, quite full going north, less so going south. The conductor announced that the southbound train we took would be standing room only the next day, Sunday. Since we turned around so quickly we actually rode in the same car with the same crew both times. The trip takes about three hours.
Coaches were clean, all have an electrical outlet at each pair of seats. The crew were friendly, seemed to be enjoying their jobs. I think they were doing some training as at times there were four of them in the one coach. The conductor was also good about announcing why we were stopped a few times. Strangely we had to wait for the sister train to pass heading north and again heading south. All together we had five coaches one of which was business class.

I used the Quik Trak machine in LA Union Station to print the tickets for this trip. However, the machine refused to even acknowledge that I had tickets for June to be printed. I had to get those from the agent. He indicated that one should never trust the machines and should always come to the ticket agent window. Job security? LAUS also does not yet have the new schedules. They said maybe in 2-3 weeks. I guess they are just a "backwater station".

Our efforts to make it an all Metro trip failed as the Blue Line (local electric rail) was closed with busing for two stops due to removal of railroad tracks in the path. That made timing too iffy so we drove to the station. Parking all day is $6 at LAUS, not too bad.

I took a few pictures, mostly scenery rather than rail stuff. If you would like to see them here is the link:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=118xqhnm.aew79efa&x=0&y=mxnfxe

This trip gave me my railroad fix for now and in June we will do the big one, SWC, EB and CS.

Lastly - I was driving behind a small truck the other day, looked like it was in the air conditioning or heating business by the stuff in the back, and there was a large sign on the back "Bagpipes Wanted". I kid you not.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a few bagpipers. One of them raises ponies!

Maybe he ought to consider moving west.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on 8763 and 784 Saturday with our Train riders group and I must say the windows were so spotted that one couldn't take a clear picture through any on that train. It was pretty poor!
Train was fun and we all had a good time.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note spots on my pictures! And I did remember to put the camera closer to the window after the first picture with all the reflections on it.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, actually I took a quick trip to SBA on Saturday too! I took 775 up and 798 down. Cost to me was $0 as part of the Rail2Rail Weekend promotion.
You made a smart move going on Saturday-this is the last weekend of spring break for UCSB and Cal Poly, and if you thought the train was full on Saturday, imagine the chaos today!

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great photos, Vicki! Thanks for sharing them!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hull
Member # 4465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Hull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the photos, Vicki. They brought back some happy memories.
John

Posts: 41 | From: Yaxham, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page