RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight

Author Topic: Coast Starlight
CBQ_WI
Member # 5094

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CBQ_WI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any information on the on-time performance for the Northbound Coast Starlight?

Will be riding Thursday the 26th to Portland. Cant recall if there is track work going on.

Thanks all.

Posts: 5 | From: Pleasant Prairie, WI | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
April 21 arrived PDX at 6:10pm
April 20 arrived 6:35pm
April 19 arrived 11:28pm
April 18 arrived 4:48pm
April 17 arrived 6:15pm
April 16 arrived 7:09pm

You can check future dates yourself at www.amtrak.com. Somewhere there is a site that tracks on time performance for up to three weeks back, but I don't have the link at hand. Anyone?

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My recent trip on the Coast Starlight (southbound) was on-time from Seattle to Klamath Falls, but the road after K-Falls to Sacramento was slow, rough and needing lots of work. We were about 2 hours late by the time we got to Emeryville, which was just about what my sleeper attendant predicted. I didn't see any on-going track work between Seattle and Emeryville.

Try this link for tracking trains: http://web.peoriadesignweb.com/cgi-bin/amtrak/train.cgi

Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, BH, that was the site I was looking for.

I know they did a lot of work north of Klamath Falls last year, and a lot of work in the central valley in recent years. I haven't noticed any rough riding in the central valley since then. Sleeping has been easy.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CBQ_WI
Member # 5094

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CBQ_WI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This this is most helpful.
Posts: 5 | From: Pleasant Prairie, WI | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP seems to be doing a lot to the CS route these days. A track work gang has been making their way south over the past few months. They were in SLO up by Cal Poly replacing ties, and other work. I saw them working at Surf (right by the Lompoc/Surf station) a few weeks ago, and on Saturday I saw them working on the siding at the Santa Barbara station. When we traveled through Guadalupe, I noticed the track is MUCH smoother.
There was still the clickety-clack of jointed rail, but overall the ride was much better. A few months ago, I would have voted that stretch of track as the worst I have ever ridden on!

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To UP's credit, it appears that they have been putting huge money into the track once they understood how bad things really were. I think when they took over the SP, they had no idea how near bled to death it had become from the previous owner. It appears to have been on the verge of complete collapse. It is simply that their first priority had to be the Sunset Route and the line up the valley to avoid complete financial collapse. Now that the double tracking west of El Paso is nearing completion we should expect to see a lot more work elsewhere.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page