RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Planning Summer Trip EB & CZ

Author Topic: Planning Summer Trip EB & CZ
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello to Railforum Members,
As I have been reading your posts for a couple months, I feel I know some of you already. This being my first post and our first cross country trip, I thought I would provide a brief itinerary and ask for any advice you professional riders can offer to my wife and I.
Celebrating my retirement on June 30, our plan is to begin our journey in Sandusky, Ohio in late July aboard the Lake Shore Limited. It will be a early am trip from our home in north central Ohio, courtesy of our friends who offered to drive us to the station, so as not to leave our car in Sandusky for two weeks.
We hope the LSL will improve its record of arriving late into Chicago, but as my friend the dispatcher in Bellevue says, "those NS freight trains are going thru despite an occasional disruption by Amtrak" **smiles**
We will then board the Empire Builder for a much anticipated trip to Portland, OR. Neither my wife or I have ever been to the west coast and we look forward to this adventure.
We then plan to get a rental car and travel down the Oregon and Calfornia coasts for a week, visiting the beach towns, riding a few tourist railroads, and seeing the redwood forests.
We then hope to visit Yosemite National Park and then spend two days in Sacramento. One of those days to take a train to San Francisco for a one day quick tour and the other to see the California State RR Museum.
The third day in Sacramento will have us boarding the California Zephyr heading east to Chicago, and hopefully making the connection with the eastbound LSL back to Sandusky.
It will be a whirlwind tour, but we hope to see lots of interesting scenery both on the trains and along the coasts.
We have roomette sleepers #4 and #8 on the EB & CZ and as you all have reinterated many times, "will try to remember Amtrak is an adventure"
Look forward to meeting lots of interesting people, and riding the rails.
Thanks for all the interesting posts and I hope to supply a trip travelogue of our adventures when we return in August.
Best wishes
Bill & Claudia

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, you and your wife are in for a real treat scenery wise. WE took the train to SF and drove up to Portland on Rte 5. Then across to Tillimook and down the coast back to SF. The Oregon coast to me is absolutely breath taking. Two places not to miss are Cape Perpetua which is the highest point in the coast and the sea lion caves.Every town, every lookout was something special. Coming back on the CZ Comiing down the "slope" into Denver is spectacular at night. The lights are on both sides of the train as you wind your way down. Have a wonderful time!!! Oh yes, stop in Tillimook to tour the cheese factory and have lunch. De-licious!!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a quick adventure in Portland, ride the streetcar to the end of the line (Gibbs) and take a ride on the Portland Aerial Tram. You'll see how a modern streetcar system operates and get a short, but scenic ride from the south waterfront district to the Oregon Health Sciences University. The Tram is closed on Sundays and the $4 fare can only be paid with coins or credit cards--no bills.
http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/index.php
http://www.portlandtram.org/

If you're on the California Coast, try to stop at the Pt. Lobos State Reserve
http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/
It's a spectacular park on the coast near Carmel, with lots of wildlife living in their natural habitat, cypress groves and a breath-taking view in every direction. You'll really know you're not in Ohio when you see a giant sea lion basking on a bed of kelp.

Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For lodging in Sacramento you might want to consider the Vagabond Inn (Executive Old Town or whatever....it's a regional chain and you want the one downtown!).

It's your typical American Motor Hotel but it's reasonably priced (for any downtown in California that is!) and it' close to what you're looking for.....across the street from the Amtrak station (and light rail), just a couple of blocks from the RR museum and Old Town Sacramento.

You could let that rental car go a couple of days sooner this way.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the Forum, Bill...sounds like you have a great trip planned and hope all goes well. Yes, it's always a good idea to think of an Amtrak trip as an "adventure." Gotta get up pretty early for #49, eh? I think it's about 4:45 AM at Sandusky. And by the way, you sure have some great roller coasters out there...can't beat Cedar Point for those "hilly" railroads...!

Railroad Bob

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, if you plan on taking 400 pictures, bring enough supplies for 1600 pictures {Multiply your best guess by 4}. If you have never been to the west coast, you will be continuously amazed by the scenery. Be prepared!
And ENJOY your trip!!!!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Railroad Bob:
Welcome to the Forum, Bill...sounds like you have a great trip planned and hope all goes well. Yes, it's always a good idea to think of an Amtrak trip as an "adventure." Gotta get up pretty early for #49, eh? I think it's about 4:45 AM at Sandusky. And by the way, you sure have some great roller coasters out there...can't beat Cedar Point for those "hilly" railroads...!

Railroad Bob

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I guess Amtrak did not find much exotic scenery in Ohio to justify day trips. All of our east and westbound trains (Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited and Cardinal in Cincy) come through in the early hours of the morning. But with all the delays between Toledo and South Bend, we will probably have time to catch some winks before Chicago. Of course I think we both will be so excited, we will be up watching the "night life" along the tracks in Indiana.
Just hoping we make the connection in time with the EB so as not to be forced to cancel some reservations in Portland.
Thanks to all who have replied to our posts. We will take all the advice to heart.
B&C.

Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
For lodging in Sacramento you might want to consider the Vagabond Inn (Executive Old Town or whatever....it's a regional chain and you want the one downtown!).

It's your typical American Motor Hotel but it's reasonably priced (for any downtown in California that is!) and it' close to what you're looking for.....across the street from the Amtrak station (and light rail), just a couple of blocks from the RR museum and Old Town Sacramento.

You could let that rental car go a couple of days sooner this way.

Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Thanks notelvis for the Sacramento tips. We noticed many railtrippers were staying there and most of the reviews have been positive. We were especially interested in staying closeby in town. Had some concerns with news of the railroad engineer who was assaulted in West Sacramento last week. This gang thing has gotten out of hand. Here in our small town we have avoided those problems but are always on alert in the big cities to stay out of questionable areas. Hope the trains won't need armed guards in the future. Thanks again for your information.
B&C

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, your comment about armed guards reminded me of an incident in 1973. My husband,our 3 children and I were on our way home from the west coast. We got on the Capital in Chicago and had not gotten out of the yards when we came to a stop. Don't remember the details but somwthing about waiting for an engineer. At any rate we sat and sat and it got warmer so my daughter and I decided to go out and stand in the area between the cars.The conducter came along and ushered us back to our seats saying we should stay put and not get out of our seats.as it was too dangerous. We looked out the window and there were armed guard patrolling along the train on either side.It seemed that the gangs on the south side of Chicago often shot at the trains. It was a long time ago but I can still remember how relieved we were when we finally got started again. The world seems to continue to get sicker and sicker doesn't it?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I have recently experienced some of your route, I offer these observations:

Unless you are fascinated by vast open space, Montana has a lot of scenery without much variety. By evening this changes to the majestic mountains of Glacier.

Dawn on the Columbia River next day is beautiful. I recommend a lot of sightseeing time in the lounge all the way to PDX.

After a calming ride on the EB, getting out of Portland on I5 was a little tense. US 101 on the coast is also very busy in summer, but spectacular. LOTS of places to get out and explore the coast and forests. Allow a lot of time to make this segment enjoyable. Some back roads through the Coast Range could be a welcome change of pace.

Good luck. For us midwesterners, that first trip to the Pacific is a great experience.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only tip I have beyond these is to consider bringing a Walkman or IPOD or some music device. It's fun listening to music as you look out the window.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Railroad Bill:
Yes, I guess Amtrak did not find much exotic scenery in Ohio to justify day trips.

Well, there are a lot of beautiful parts in any state, but I think the real reason for these schedules are end-point arrival times. Amtrak probably does not want 3 AM arrival times at big city end points like CHI or LAX. There are plenty of great segments of RR that Amtrak crosses at night both ways; such as the Northern Cal. (Redding/Dunsmuir areas) of the Coast Starlight.
I like to see the Needles Sub of the BNSF in the daylight too, but that's pretty rare, since 3/4 is a fairly reliable on time train.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Bill, I wanted to tell you about a book I found when we were on our trip. It is super and quickly became our travel "Bible". Title:Oregon Family Adventure Guide by Cheryl McLean. I don't know if you can get itanywhere but at the publisher..The Globe Pequot Press P O Box 833, OLd Saybrook, Ct 06475. It is a paper back and easy to shove in a carryon. We found all sorts of interesting things. For Example Who knew Oregon is one of 5 states that grows cranberries. In Bandon there is a factory and store called Cranberry Sweets that has wonderful candy.In Coos Bay there is a Myrtlewood factory and gift shop that has lovely things. I didn't know that Oregon is the only place where it grows. And so on . In the back is a list by catagories, lodging, retaurants shopping etc. Our book is underlined ,highlighted and commented on by us. Oh yes, In Florece have clam chowder at Moe's. The best anywhere!!!! Maybe you can borrow it from the library

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page