RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Telephone Survey

Author Topic: Amtrak Telephone Survey
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife got an unusual phone call tonight from an Amtrak representative who asked her if she wanted to participate in a survey to be conducted over the phone in a couple of weeks. It seems that when we traveled on the CZ from MTP to SLC around five months ago, there were some minor issues with the sink and shower in our bedroom on an older Superliner car. She filled out and mailed in a survey report a couple of weeks after our trip, noting those issues we had, and that was the end of it, we thought.

Now, some months later, it seems Amtrak wants to follow up on the nature of the problems we encountered, and has offered some token remuneration for our trouble.
Is this standard policy, or something new with Kummant on board? Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giving you a voucher to make up for a problem is nothing new. We have gotten vouchers ranging from $50- $250 depending on the severity of the problem. I have never sent in anything in writing preferring to call and talk to a representative.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's interesting. As bad as some of the Amtrak horror stories are, airline horror stories are more common and usually much worse. When was the last time an airline took the time to follow up on problems thier customers had?

--------------------
Chuck

“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a follow-up, my wife got a package in the mail from SRBI, Amtrak's "Research and Strategy" firm, a few days ago containing illustrated "background information on new classes of service Amtrak is considering providing in the future on its long distance trains." Someone from a survey group is supposed to call her in a few days to get her opinion.

The classes of service are described as follows:

C = Coach, most economical
BR = Basic Roomette, very economical
ER = Enhanced Roomette, somewhat economical
BB = Basic Bedroom, somewhat expensive
EB = Enhanced Bedroom, very expensive
LB = Luxury Bedroom, most expensive

It looks like quite an elaborate mailing, and I wonder how much Amtrak spends on market research like this. They want my wife to "rank" the classes as if she were taking another trip from MTP to SLC as we did last winter in a BB, using factors such as comfort, cost, meals, privacy, etc. I will report further on this after they call her.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musicfan
Member # 4673

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicfan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoting from the market research survey.
""
C = Coach, most economical
BR = Basic Roomette, very economical
ER = Enhanced Roomette, somewhat economical
BB = Basic Bedroom, somewhat expensive
EB = Enhanced Bedroom, very expensive
LB = Luxury Bedroom, most expensive
"""""""""""""""
I'd vote for offering all of them! I really hope Amtrak does implement some sort of different classes of sleeper service, it would be great to just be able to get a bed to sleep in and nothing else, if that's what you can afford.
With the ridiculously high "yield management" fares and having all the meals automatically included I think it is all but impossible for anyone to travel sleeper unless they are at least upper-middle class.
It seems like you have to pay for two people and their meals even if your only traveling by yourself and don't want anything to eat.

It would be great to have the other side of it to, a real luxury option for those who so choose.
If I understand the account of their history correctly, the old cruise lines like the White Star Lines , and Cunard probably made most of their profit on the "Steerage" or third class passengers.
Despite the fact that the glamour and advertising were aimed at the upper-class ladies and gentlemen.
I know we all like to read about or (remember) the Super Chief, Twentieth Century and the Panama Limited, but lest we forget most our train traveling ancestors were probably on some dusty, dirty local train with all their possesions in a trunk heading out for a new life and a new start.

Just as long as Amtrak shows no favoritism in who gets in the life boats if we hit an iceberg, I'll be happy.
Speaking of the Titanic, I recently caught "A Night to Remember" on TV, The 1958 movie of the sinking. Pretty good film, almost a documentary, but with good acting.
One other irrelevant movie recommendation, is what I just finished watching this evening, a movie called "One True Thing" starring
Meryl Streep, Renee Zellweger and William Hurt.
Great acting in a drama about cancer and it's impact on the family.
I thought the script and story had a few holes in it, but it was very well acted and well worth it.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There used to be slumber coach class. This was simply a small room , no meals included, and a small addition to the rail fare.As I recall there was a sink and toilet in the room but the bed was narrorer than the roomette. The double room was so tiny that we would get 2 singles across the hall from each other and it was still less than the roomette. Too bad that is gone
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I enjoy the meal service that goes along with the sleeper, there are many times that I would just like a bed for myself and the privacy that goes along with a sleeper. I see roomettes on the Zephyr going for $500 plus on some dates, and if you can afford it, fine..but it would sure be nice to have a no-frills sleeper option.

I ve been on many trains where the sleepers were not even half full. I am sure many coach passengers would jump at the chance for an inexpensive sleeper at least for one night. Most coach passengers don t even ask for fear of the price. I m on a limited budget, and if I can afford a sleeper, I ll do it. I have a roomette on the Sunset in July for $229 from NOL-LAX and a $200 price on the Builder for January. Those are the rock bottom and I think reasonable prices.

I was in coach from FTL-WAS this past January. The viewliner sleeper was $379..and thats for a one night trip. I know..supply and demand,but thats excessive. I would indeed most welcome that tiered sleeper pricing on Amtrak.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was thinking about the price of sleepers in my last post, I had a little time to kill this afternoon, so I thought I would take an arbitrary date, November 4th, 6 months from this date and check the prices for a roomette on all of Amtraks long distance trains:
From Chicago to LA on #3..$278
From Chicago to EMY on #5..$254
From Chicago to SEA on #7..$200
From Chicago to LA on #421..$412
From Chicago to NOL on #58..$89
From NOL to LAX on #1..$229
From NYP to MIA on #91 or #97,,$321
From NYP to NOL on #19 ..$231
From NYP to CHI on #51..$402
From NYP to CHI on #49..$172
From Was to CHI on #29..300

Interesting..most of these are the low buckets, except for the silver service, the cardinal and the Capital Limited..Can t beleive the price of the Cardinal... over $400 for a one night trip and there is not even a full service diner on that train!

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, someone at Trainblog posted the info pertinent to this survey:

From what I see,

Coach is coach.

Basic Roomette and Basic Bedroom are the existing accommodations, less porter service, no food, and probably the current tariff (call me cynical).

Enhanced Roomette and Enhanced Bedroom are the existing accommodations, current level of service, and a higher tariff.

Luxury Bedroom is Amtrak-speak for "let's rent some of the AOE equipment from Colorado Railcar!" Then Amtrak can really turn on the dollar sucking vacuum cleaner.

Clear as mud?

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rented or not, I would love to see Amtrak with some new high-end equipment--even though it's unlikely I can ever afford to use it, short of marrying an heiress....

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommers207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Received a telephone survey call last night from a third party about Amtraks reservation system. Anyone else and I probably would have hung up. They were asking how I booked my trip to Santa Barbara and why I booked it the way I did. They also asked how they could improve the system including Mistress Julie and the website.

--------------------
Remember no matter where you go, there you are - Buckaroo Bonzai

Posts: 45 | From: Fullerton, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musicfan
Member # 4673

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicfan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting how the fares look six months out,
I either seem to not be able to plan that far ahead, or just don't like having something set in stone that long.
Probably kind of crazy, but several Amtrak long-distance trips I have taken were purchased the night before.
I really like the freedom of not having to plan trips way ahead , but maybe that's just my personality.
I hope the speculation that they will keep the fares as they are currently for the "basic" service is wrong, but it's probably right unfortunately. I guess I would be okay with it if they just kept those six-month out fares until the train filled up, instead of raising them through the roof as the train gradually fills up.
I think that's counterproductive.
Have to mention one other thing, if anyone happens to visit the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, via Amtrak or any other way, and your still young enough(or young at heart) for a good time, be sure to check out First Avenue in Minneapolis.
http://www.first-avenue.com/
It really is one of the coolest and best music venue's in the country, if there having a good band.
Nothing like Rock and Roll at the right kind of place with a great crowd.
It used to be the Greyhound bus terminal prior to it's conversion to a night-club in 1970.
Anyway, it's not for those wanting clean bathrooms or a big production like you get at an arena.
But for the live music and cool people and a friendly staff, it's a must see in the Twin Cities.

If you can't make it there, the cabooze is the number 2 place in town in my opinion, http://www.cabooze.com/ and another great place for good bands and a cool crowd and good atmosphere. I think the entry-way is in fact an actual old caboose, and on the inside there are railroad heralds all over.
Make no mistake though, it's purpose is music and a good time.
Lot of jam bands, cross-over rock and roll/country bands, and reggae artists play here, but always a bit of everything.
In fact my favorite cover band in the whole Minneapolis/St. Paul area is now playing there every Sunday.
Totally awesome sound they have and a great set-list.
They have a bit of a joke of a band name, so I won't put that down here.

It's right next to the Franklin Avenue light-rail station,. just make sure you check your light-rail schedules, last time I checked the last train left at 1 30 in the morning or so, and the bands usually play to around 2 am, so if you miss the train, you have to hop in one of the waiting cabs if you don't have your own car.
Once again apologizing for drifting off the Amtrak subject.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read the Trainblog article, and I'm glad someone at Amtrak is at least putting out ideas. I wonder how this would work unless they either purchase or rent additional equipment.
I like the idea of the luxury bedroom; I'd be able to get the Grand Luxe experience without having to spend the whole week on the train.
Also the Amtrak sleeper attendants who WANT to provide excellent service can man the luxury bedrooms, while the ones who disappear for most of the trip can be in the basic roomettes.
Think there might be room for enhanced coach, like the El Capitan?

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by graynt:
While I was thinking about the price of sleepers in my last post, I had a little time to kill this afternoon, so I thought I would take an arbitrary date, November 4th, 6 months from this date and check the prices for a roomette on all of Amtraks long distance trains:
From Chicago to LA on #3..$278
From Chicago to EMY on #5..$254
From Chicago to SEA on #7..$200
From Chicago to LA on #421..$412
From Chicago to NOL on #58..$89
From NOL to LAX on #1..$229
From NYP to MIA on #91 or #97,,$321
From NYP to NOL on #19 ..$231
From NYP to CHI on #51..$402
From NYP to CHI on #49..$172
From Was to CHI on #29..300

Interesting..most of these are the low buckets, except for the silver service, the cardinal and the Capital Limited..Can t beleive the price of the Cardinal... over $400 for a one night trip and there is not even a full service diner on that train!

Last summer we took the Empire Builder from Chicago to Whitefish, MT. In watching the fares, I thoughti it interesting that you could actually shop fares between the 7 cars that go to Seattle and the 27 cars that go to Portland. We saved some money by booking 27 instead of 7.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page