RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » No new superliners...

Author Topic: No new superliners...
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak is repairing old equiment over and over. This is the reason Sunset can't go daily. Can't Amtrak purchase from here?

http://www.coloradorailcar.com/tourismhome.htm

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Amtrak gets the money for new equipment purchases, somebody will fill the void--Bombardier, Colorado Railcar, or some Chinese or Japanese company--even if they have to set up a shell subsidiary in the US to do the final assembly. But please note that I said IF Amtrak gets the money for new equipment purchases--and that's a big IF in today's political climate.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The President has to propose a capital equipment procurement appropriation.

The Congress has to buy into it. Alternatively, the Congress can appropriate the money over the President's desires.

The President signs the legislation.

Only then can a procurement action go forward.

The other reason Amtrak may or may not choose Rader as a vendor is CAPACITY. Can he churn out a 400 car order in 20 months? Hmmmm?

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is Amtrak that would make the initial proposal, not the President. Of course, Congress is responsible for authorizing and allocating funds, and the President ultimately signs off on it.

I suspect Mr. Kummant is already thinking about how to pursue equipment purchases, and I wouldn't be surprised if he presents a list soon after S.294 passes.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly hope that includes new single-level equipment for the East.
BTW, I recall Amtrak was offered some Talgo trainsets a while ago but Amtrak didn't have the funds. I wonder if that could be revived?

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
The other reason Amtrak may or may not choose Rader as a vendor is CAPACITY. Can he churn out a 400 car order in 20 months? Hmmmm?

I know this is just a pipe dream, but rather than order 400 cars for delivery in 20 months, followed by a fifteen-year dry spell of no new equipment at all, suppose Amtrak and its government sponsor committed to purchasing 15-20 new cars per year, each year, on an ongoing permanent basis?

We may never again see the likes of Pullman, Budd, and ACF engaged in heated competition to equip new fleets of streamliners, but I can't stop hoping that there might be SOME KIND of a consistent and predictable supply of and demand for rail passenger equipment in this country.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delvyrails
Member # 4205

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for delvyrails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only 15-20 per year probably would be far too few to make economic production possible.
Posts: 137 | From: Willow Grove, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bombardier lost money on the Superliner II's, Pullman lost even more on the I's. There's no money to be made manufacturing Superliners. So even if Amtrak was ready to order more, they wouldn't be made.

The only way I can see more Supers being manufactured is to up the price per car. I believe the Super II's went for 2 million a piece (1994 dollars). And the current Amtrak would unlikely be able to get funding for 1994 prices let alone an increase.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, this might sound like heresy, but aren't there producers of rail cars in Great Britain or the rest of Europe or even Asia that Amtrak could purchase from? After all, we're constantly told that it's a global economy. Maybe there is some ligislation that I'm unaware of prohibiting Amtrak from procuring foreign products?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's Beech Grove shop has proven to be very adept at rebuilding old Superliners, even manufacturing parts from scratch. Might Beech Grove have now gained enough experience to build entire cars from the wheels up?
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We (UK) buy from Alstom, Bombardier, Siemens, or Hitachi nowadays. But don't you (US) have some kind of "final build in US" kind of requirement for certain industries?

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but it is more like a final assembly. Almost a put the kit together from major assemblies made elsewhere.

Mr. Toy, Beech Grove probably could. If we could get the Budd Style stainless steel body shells fabricated, then they could probably do the rest. So far no one has figured out the true life expectancy of one of these body shells so long as you don't hit it too hard or drop it too far. There are plenty rolling around that are sixty or more years old now.

George

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking maybe the Russians can build the coaches at a good price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWTZzuRxFmA

Well, maybe that wasn't a good idea.

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page