RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » San Antonio Hotel Recommendations?

Author Topic: San Antonio Hotel Recommendations?
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be making my annual Thanksgiving trip to AZ and this year am stopping in New Orleans, LA and San Antonio, TX. (Taking advantage of 3-Region Off-Peak Explore America Fare)

I am all set for New Orleans.

However, I am looking for a safe, clean place to stay (read not fancy nor pricey) in San Antonio. One near to the city's attractions. I am a Senior citizen with some mobility problems and prefer not to rent a car. So access to public transportation is a plus. (Taxi is second choice.) Also any ideas for "do not miss seeing" sites appreciated.

I am a little concerned about the 3 a.m. arrival in San Antonio. Are cabs readily available at that hour? (Just in case the Sunset Lt'd is near on time). Also what is the station/neighborhood like at that hour?

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dee,

My wife, daughter, and I spent three nights last July (2006) at a Red Roof Inn in downtown San Antonio. Location-wise it was about 4 blocks from the Alamo and a mall at the tail end of the Riverwalk. It was another couple of blocks further (6 or so) to the Amtrak station.

Additionally, San Antonio has tourist trolly buses (personal note: I HATE buses that look like trollies. Cities that have buses that look like trollies want the nostalgia without making a commitment to mass transit in my opinion...but I digress.) and the Red Roof is adjacent to one of the trolly/bus stops.

This particular Red Roof is 8-9 stories tall with interior corridors so it's a bit safer than your typical motor hotel. Red Roof, as you know, is generally pretty easy on your lodging dollar. Even the same hotel can vary in cleanliness from time to time but we found it to be acceptably clean even though there was some sort of gymnastics competition in town and the place was full of teenagers lounging around and eating pizza in the corridors and lobby......in other words, the staff....at least last summer....dealt with clientele slightly more likely to leave a mess and did so while remaining reasonably pleasant.

Four-star hotel? No, not at all. Within our budget without making us feel like we were having to 'settle' for less. Yes. We would certainly look to use this hotel again if we're ever back in San Antonio.

I'll leave depot advice to someone who may know San Antonio better than I......but that area seemed reasonably safe to me when I was last there on the train.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strongly second David's recommendation of the Red Roof Inn. They are located at 1011 East Houston Street, phone (210)229-9973. The "San Antonio Streetcar", operated by the local transit agency, stops right by the motel. It can take you just about anywhere you want to go in the downtown area, either directly or by changing to another "Streetcar" route. All the info at
http://www.viainfo.net/Ride/Streetcar.aspx

There should be taxis at the station when the train arrives or very shortly thereafter. As long as you stay in the immediate area of the station, you'll be fine. There is a Denny's nearby (the only open restaurant within walking distance at that hour) but too far if there are mobility issues.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the San Antonio trip I had to cancel, I was also planning on staying at the Red Roof Inn, and probably will when I reschedule.

But I also plan to check out the Hotel Menger, right next door to the Alamo. Sometimes they have specials!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I now have a confirmed reservation at the Red Roof Inn for November. Am now checking out all the web-sites to prioritize what to see. It appears there will be more than enough to fill up my 4 full days there. Will probably miss some things actually.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dee,

If you like Mexican food, be sure to visit Mi Tierra Cafe & Bakery, a San Antonio institution. IIRC, it's on the route of the "Streetcar" that stops at the Red Roof.
http://www.mitierracafe.com

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1702, I know you spent a good deal of time in on-board service for Amtrak.

With all your pointers for San Antonio it seems you must have spent some time working the Eagle.....either turning in San Antonio or laying over coming to and from the Sunset.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by DeeCT:
I now have a confirmed reservation at the Red Roof Inn for November. Am now checking out all the web-sites to prioritize what to see. It appears there will be more than enough to fill up my 4 full days there. Will probably miss some things actually.

Dee

Besides the Alamo, I'd suggest one of the riverboat rides which board from the mall area four blocks from Red Roof. Not sure about accessibility issues but it's a nice way to spend an hour if you can be accomodated.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page