RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ticket Payment---New Policy ?

Author Topic: Ticket Payment---New Policy ?
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently, I ordered tickets by phone for an up-coming round-trip between Pittsburgh and Fullerton. Since I was unable to pay for the tickets at that immediate time, the Amtrak rep informed me that they could be "held" (for one week) until I went down to the station at Pittsburgh to pay the total and pick them up.

Well, I went to the station about four days later intending to pay the total , but was unable to because of a "glitch" with my debit card. It turned out that I was only able to pay for the first two legs of the journey---the trip OUT.

I informed the station agent that I would have to return the next day to complete the payment and get all the tickets. She informed me this would not be necessary. She gave me the the tickets for the first two legs (the trip out) and told me that I could pick-up and pay for the last two legs (the return segment) of the trip the day of my trip DEPARTURE---September 3rd.

I was totally surprised. I was not aware that Amtrak would "hold" the remaining two sleeper spaces for my return trip without my paying for them in advance , since my trip was not immediate.

Is this new policy or what ?

So my question is this:

In paying for a multi-leg trip (all with sleeper), is it possible to pay for just a PORTION of the trip in advance and wait until the trip date itself to pay the balance ?

I have always thought that Amtrak would "hold" no sleeper space for me unless it was ALL paid for within one week.

Thoughts ?

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like an unusual situation, and perhaps the ticket agent took pity on you and took a little initiative to make sure your reservation was held until payment could be made. Perhaps she assumed that once you have made a financial commitment to travel away from home she expected that you would want to return home. She probably figured it was a safe bet. Thus she was willing to hold your return reservation up to the day of your departure from home.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this must be the case. There was , however, another agent present who talked with the first agent about the matter. They both agreed it would be perfectly all right for me to pay for the remaining tickets when I departed Pittsburgh.

Leaving nothing to chance, however , I am going back to the station today to pay for the return leg. I would feel too uncomfortable waiting until September 3rd----especially with sleeper space involved.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page