RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Portland, Oregon Amtrak Station

Author Topic: Portland, Oregon Amtrak Station
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to ask one more thing relating to my upcoming trip. We will arrive at PDX on the EB #27 at about 9:30 am (it routinely arrives early I see) and depart on the CS #11 at 2:30 pm (also a usually on time departure). Both trips will be via sleeper. Is there a lounge? A place for the bags while we wander about a bit? Anything nearby to see?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10-4 on the lounge at PDX. Very comfy, and a place to store your baggage.

My wife (yes, yes, I really have one) and I will be taking the same route as you in July. As we've done several times in the past. Our M.O. is to store our bags in the PDX Metropolitan Lounge, hike to Powell's Books, browse and then lunch at Jakes's, and then head back to the PDX lounge to look through the treasures we found at Powell's.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Zephyr - I see the Amtrak site refers to a "lounge during station hours". Looks like MSP also has one which is great as we may have to wait a bit for that departure. Wish LAX had one.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musicfan
Member # 4673

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicfan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in Portland for my lay-over between the Builder and the Starlight I walked downtown and had plently of time to visit the Oregon Historical Society Museum.
http://www.ohs.org/

I also enjoyed riding the local light rail a little bit,walking around downtown and stopping at a nice cafe for a bite to eat.
One particular thing I remember was stumbling upon a crew filming a TV commercial for some type of coffee or some such in this park which has various statues every so often.
It took them a few takes to hold the coffee the right way and smile!!
Don't know the name of the park.

The station isn't exactly downtown and it is a bit of a walk, you might have to take a cab if you want to do something similar.

But it would be perfectly okay just to rest from your travels and hang around the station and wait for the starlight as well.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopeful -

I second the idea of Jakes for lunch. The best around.
http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.display&pageid=96&id=1

I really enjoyed the Classical Chinese Garden - an absolute jewel in the city.
http://www.portlandchinesegarden.org/awakening/orchids/info/C14/

Portland has a very good public transit system. (I am not sure but seem to recall that the downtown area is free).

To do Portland justice you really need more than a few hours - I spent 3 days there and did not get to see everything I wanted. A beautiful,clean and very green city.

Enjoy your time there !!

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lounge in Portland is a gem. There is an attendant, internet access, and a great atmosphere with a view of the tracks.

The MSP Amshack lounge is nothing to brag about -a bigger TV, a view of the empty tracks (a one train town) and no attendant. For people like myself who find TV annoying, I prefer to stand outside. Usually they do not like you to stand on the train side of the building, but there are no barriers to prevent a pedestrian from walking around the building. There can be several private rail cars parked on the inside tracks (this station has the hookups they need). Once I happened upon an owner who gave me a tour.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Thanks all. I have the info on Powell's City of Books, Jake's, the streetcar with the fare-free area, maps, the Amtrak station which looks beautiful. I don't think we will have any trouble filling a few hours in Portland.

TwinStar - regarding the MSP Amshack. At least it has some kind of lounge - more than we have in LAX. Should you be wandering about on Sunday night, June 24th, my husband and I will be in the station waiting for the EB. Knowing us we will be there early, partly because what else can we do in the late evening on a Sunday night other than go to the station and wait for our train. Drop by and visit us!

--------------------

wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two Jake's in Portland. Jakes Grill on 10th street is my favorite , however, either one is a delight. Portland is full of great places to eat.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki, I will try to drop by when you leave MSP. I have only once met another forum member. I forget his name but he was a car attendant on the CZ several years ago, and he posted that he was working on the CZ on a certain date and looked like the actor Ben Kingsley. I recognized him easily as such on the train, and we talked briefly.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyAlweg
Member # 5407

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MightyAlweg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Portland is one of America's most delightful cities. It's hip, modern, clean, pretty and has plenty of great restaurants and fun diversions. The excellent light rail trains serving the suburbs and the electric streetcars serving downtown are all free in the downtown core, and it makes it very easy to get around this already compact city. Portland is surrounded by hills and mountains, but luckily the downtown area along the river is mainly flat and great for walking.

The beautifully restored Portland Union Station is on the fringe of downtown proper, but is an easy walk to the Pearl District where lots of trendy restaurants, shops and galleries are located. Check out http://explorethepearl.com and maybe print out their walking map in advance. You won't have a hard time at all in finding something to do for a few hours within walking distance of Portland Union Station.

Portlanders are very protective of their city as they would hate to see it become another Seattle where the reputation leaked out and it was ruined by its popularity. But I've also found them very hospitable to visitors, so long as you don't announce you plan on moving there and getting in on their secret.

Posts: 56 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page