RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I'm going to Texes

Author Topic: I'm going to Texes
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be going to texes on the Texes Eagle exactly 3 weaks from today (June 2), My Dad wants to return to see where my Grand Parents once lived, I'm going from L.A. to El Paso Tx. Any one have any tips or seguestions on what to see while I'm up there

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon--

Before you go you might want to check your spelling of the state name. People back there can be a might touchy about such things.

Most of my time in Texas is spent in Houston so I can't help you with suggestions for El Paso. I'm sure folks on here can, though.

I hope you'll take some of your great pictures on this trip and I'll look forward to seeing them online.

Have a great ride and a great summer vacation.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sbalax, why should people in Taxes care how the state's name is spelt? :-)
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was "Baja Oklahoma" or spelled Tejas (that's pronounced tay-hass!)
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say "Baja Oklahoma" anywhere between Beaumont and El Paso, and you might go back to Florida in a box.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No he wouldn't George. It would be too expensive to send him home. We have over 800,000 acres of national forest here in Texas. Never dig up the mounds of dirt you will find deep within those forests. [Eek!] [Eek!]

And you may need a passport to visit us in 2010. We are thinking about resigning our membership in The Union.

And Jonathin can be excused for misspelling our great State. He's a product of California's public school education, so we do feel sorry for him. We are compassionate people. [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George, you may be right about that-- but the only two things I am sure of are Death and Texas...
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, the way things are going you wont have to resign your membership in the union. Mexico will take over without a shot and y'all will be a part of Latin Ameica.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clever chat, folks, but is anyone going to answer Jonathon's question?
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon, try looking up El Paso on the net and you will probably find lots of intereting things to see and do. I find the cities I look up put so much on their web site that it could keep one busy for days. Good Luck and have a fun trip. Be sure to share your wonderful pictures when you return.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
Mike, the way things are going you wont have to resign your membership in the union. Mexico will take over without a shot and y'all will be a part of Latin America.

No, actually, we are planning on taking over Mexico. Most of their citizens are here in the USA, so an invasion should be a piece of cake. [Big Grin]

And Jonathin, when you cross the Rio Grande, look to your right. There is a high probability that you will see some illegals wading the river, just past the small dam.

Like these:

-

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon--

Here's a link for you:

http://www.elpasocvb.com/

Hope that helps. Have a great trip.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Mike you are probably right but I must admit neither option appeals to me. That is an interesting picture.
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon, you didn't mention if you would be renting a car from El Paso. White Sands National Monument or Carlsbad Caverns are not too far a drive. Both are very unique attractions. You can catch some great color photos in White Sands near sunset.

And if everyone is going to pick on your spelling, I might suggest you try copy and paste from Word, as it will catch errors as you type. It doesn't bother me any. Keep up the posting!

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx for the info Sbalax

(Quote:And Jonathin can be excused for misspelling our great State. He's a product of California's public school education, so we do feel sorry for him. We are compassionate people(/Quote)

How did you know about our horrible schools?

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have tons of stuff to do here in El Paso!! Theres the tramway on the franklin mountains, Plaza theatre, historic downtown, Western Playland Amusement Park (my favorite), and much more. Just returned from Seattle and #2 was on-time for once. I'll try to be down at the station when you come in.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
I'll be sure check what day I'm schedueld to arrive and post it here
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
I'm leaveing this Friday the 22nd, and arriving the 23rd.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lookin' forward to the pictures, Jonathon!
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Coming into El Paso, on the right side of the train, you will see a ton of plywood "houses" in Mexico, about 100 yards south of the train.

After that, you will cross the Rio Grande. As you cross the Rio Grande, look to your right and see if you see some illegals crossing the border.

And, about the CA schools... I have internet access and google. I can find out about almost everything. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page