RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Tucson to New Orleans and back this week

Author Topic: Tucson to New Orleans and back this week
steve in so az
Member # 3394

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve in so az     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got home a couple nights ago. We rode to just outside New Orleans (Schreiver)and then home 7 days later. Visited the kids there.
I noticed something different and wanted to ask about it. From Tucson, where we got aboard, until we hit Louisiana, we stopped for NO freight trains. They all stopped for us.
As soon as we were in Louisiana we started stopping for them. Same thing pretty much on the return.
Is there a state law or something going on ? Or just coincidence ?, Steve in so az

--------------------
steve in so az

Posts: 21 | From: Tucson, Az , usa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a "law" and not just coincidence either. You're pretty much in the hands of host railroad traffic patterns and dispatchers and whether you are on a multi-track or single track route.

New Orleans to Lake Charles, LA = BNSF
Lake Charles, LA to Los Angeles, CA = UP

Now in the heartland, BNSF will treat you better than UP generally, but I can't speak to the southern routing. Anyone?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve in so az
Member # 3394

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve in so az     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mike - that solves the mystery. steve

--------------------
steve in so az

Posts: 21 | From: Tucson, Az , usa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, do you think we'll ever get AMTRAK service back in Ocala?
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dixiebreeze, I think we can forget about Amtrak ever using the "S" line through Ocala for passenger service again. CSX is rerouting a lot of their freights off the "A" line south of here which is supposed to mean an average of 30 freights a day through Ocala (up from 20 or so). The deal is that there is going to be commuter service down around Mousetown, so they freed up the "A" line for that. There is also talk about future relocation of the CSX line "around" Ocala.

I belong to the Florida Coalition of Rail Passengers, and our most important priority right now is just getting service from NOL east to, say, JAX.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, thanks for the info. I agree NO to Jax is the highest priority. It seems insurmountable to try and reach the right people to make it happen. What do we have to do -- sit on the tracks?
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page