RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Acela Express trip

Author Topic: Acela Express trip
TNCMAXQ
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for TNCMAXQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I road the Acela Express round trip again from New Haven to DC this past weekend. It was very enjoyable, as usual. Some of the interior almost looks like a space station. [Wink]

I did get a scare yesterday though when just before the Newark station, heading north, the train stopped dead. Lights were on but all other power appeared to be off. A conductor announced there was a technical problem and we might be here "a few minutes." This brought back bad memories of the Nov. 12, 2005 trip returning to New Haven from DC when a power outage at Stamford ended up being a 4 hour delay. That was a nightmare. But thankfully this time the train was underway again within 10 minutes and we got back to New Haven only 15 minutes late.

Some of you who know more about the technical aspects of these trains might be more familiar with what would cause an incident like this. In any case, it was worth the added expense to go with Acela to shave a little time off the trip. Just eliminating a lot of those stops makes the ride seem even faster.

Posts: 17 | From: CT | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general I don't know much about technical aspects, but in this case, given the weather we've been having in the NE, I wonder if the delay might be heat related.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNCMAXQ
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNCMAXQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At Union Station in DC there was a notice saying something about "heat restrictions" affecting the Maryland commuter rail line. I wasn't sure exactly what that meant though it was not as hot yesterday as it is today. One other thing I saw yesterday was guys working on the tracks in NY and CT. So I figured that might have accounted for some of the short delay.
Posts: 17 | From: CT | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNCMAXQ wrote: "At Union Station in DC there was a notice saying something about "heat restrictions" affecting the Maryland commuter rail line."

In general, heat restrictions are put in place as a safeguard against the possibility of "sun kinks" in the rails. These can occur due to rail expansion under extreme heat conditions, and can obviously lead to derailments, as the rail can deform or bend enough to rip itself right off the ties.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what heat restrictions have to do with power problems! This could be any number of things - a couple of likely ones:
- Train tripped something and needed rebooting
- Overhead catenary supply interrupted (lights are probably on a battery backup for safety reasons).

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking my first Acela trip in a few hours. Traveling from Washington Union Station to Philadelphia. I hope Acela is all it's worked up to be! I upgraded to first class using my AGR coupons, and I'm not sure what to expect. I'll find out in a few hours!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page