RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Upgrading from Standard to Deluxe sleeper

Author Topic: Upgrading from Standard to Deluxe sleeper
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be taking the Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, and Empire Builder this summer. I've booked a Standard sleeper on all three.

What are my chances of being able to upgrade to a Deluxe compartment?

If it's a possibility, how much "extra" could it cost? And what's the wisest (and most economical) way to go about it? Phone Amtrak in advance? Wait until I arrive at the station? Ask the conductor after I board?

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rbamtrak
Member # 1598

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rbamtrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delux sleepers are generally booked solid in summer. Your best chances would be to call right away to change if possible. If not available, then ask your sleeper car attendant upon boarding about it
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is a deluxe bedroom open on any of the legs of your trip within a couple of weeks before your departure date, Amtrak may call you and offer to upgrade you for a discount price, probably about the same as you'd pay for an onboard upgrade.

But like the previous poster said, in the middle of summer, it's most likely that all the deluxes will have been booked well in advance, so your best chance is probably rooms that open up at the very last minute due to cancellations or no-shows, and your car attendant and/or the conductor would be the people to ask about those.

(By the way, I'm soon taking the same loop you are, departing L.A. on May 11th. I'll be in standard bedrooms only, mainly because I'm traveling alone except for the L.A. to Emeryville portion.)

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! I completely forgot that I posted this query. Must be something in the water supply.

Thanks for the tips. From other posts on this board, I've noticed that Amtrak has phoned several people at "the eleventh hour" to offer a standard-to-deluxe upgrade for $50 a night or so. Then again, they were usually traveling during the slow season.

The first stretch of my trip consists of short segments in coach (Lake Shore Limited and Pennsylvanian), with a few stopovers along the way to visit friends.

My first sleeper segment doesn't start until the beginning of the second week. So I won't be home when Amtrak decides to call -- which I'm absolutely sure they will, simply because I won't be there to answer the phone!

I've got a feeling that all the sleepers will be sold-out this summer. People are still skittish about flying, especially anywhere overseas.

But I'll ask after I board each of my trains.

Who knows? Maybe I'll turn out to be the one millionth passenger to ride the Southwest Chief (or they'll like my shoes or something), and they'll give me an upgrade for free.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 05-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 05-09-2002).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A suggestion, since you will be on an extended trip...........call Amtrak and give them your cell phone # to contact. That way, you may be able to hear about last minute upgrades.
As others have said, you may get called or you may be able to upgrade on board. Another suggestion is that since both the SW chief and Empire Bldr are two night trips, you may be able to get at least one of the nights as an upgrade, if someone has not booked all the way through. Tip your on board attendant 'up front' also.

Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page