RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Checked Baggage

Author Topic: Checked Baggage
Passenger Rail Fan
Member # 4899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Passenger Rail Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are traveling from Chicago to D.C., (Capitol Limited) and then D.C. to Savannah (Silver Meteor). Question: Do you advise checked baggage for both connections of this trip? Same for return trip? We have sleepers both ways.
Thanks!

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PRF - if you are traveling in a sleeper, there is no need to check baggage. On the Capitol Ltd you will have a Superliner sleeping car, with baggage racks on the lower level for your stuff, and you will be able to take some baggage into your room -- are you going in a bedroom or in a roomette?

On the Meteor, you will be in a Viewliner sleeper - there is no common baggage storage area in those cars, but again you can take your baggage into your room with you, especially if you are traveling in a bedroom (I assume there are 2 of you?.......)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a matter of choice. When we go to Denver we have to change trains in Chicago. We have a small carry on with us and check the larger bag through. When we get to Denver our bags are there. When we took a round about to LA (DC to Chi to San Antonio to LA ) our bags were there when we were. I have never had a problem in all the years I have traveled by train. I find it more convenient not to have to be concerned about baggage but others prefer to take their bags with them. You do have to wait for the baggage to be unloaded but I don't mind. Some people do. So I am back to my original statement it is really a matter of choice. Oh yes, the only 2 times we were bussed our checked baggage was put on the bus with us.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Unless I am traveling with just an overnight bag, I prefer to check bagagge and let someone else worry about hauling it to and from the train.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't suggest putting anything fragile in your checked luggage. In Emeryville, the clerk literally threw my bag about 15 feet onto a pile of other bags after I checked it. (You would have thought he would have waited until I turned my back!)

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandma Judy--

You should see what happens "behind the scenes" in an airport terminal. Fifteen feet is a love tap.

----Eric, who worked "backstage" at William P. Hobby Airport for two years....

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page