RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Washington to Hartford

Author Topic: Washington to Hartford
bnash
Member # 2425

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bnash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tickets from Washington, DC to Hartford, CT on trains 176 and 476. 176 arrives in New Haven at 5:06 and 476 departs at 5:15. This seems a little tight. Is 476 really just a section of 176 that is cut off and sent to Hartford. If so, how do you make sure you get on the right car of 176 to "make the cut?"

Thanks,

Bill Nash

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the "400-series" trains between New Haven and Springfield are listed as "shuttle trains." I have never ridden one, but I would guess that they will wait for the connecting Regional to arrive in New Haven before they depart. As far as I know, these shuttle trains consist of a couple Amfleet cars only -- I do not know whether they have cafe cars on them, but I am sure someone on this forum can fill you in.

AMTRAK's NE Corridor "Regional" trains generally run pretty close to schedule, since the entire right-of-way between Washington, Springfield, and Boston is owned by AMTRAK, and the tracks have all been upgraded to the highest speeds on the system (all NE Corridor Regional trains are powered by electric locomotives)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The split for east to Boston and North to VT or Springfield is at the New Haven Station. some times there will be an announcement that the first two or last two cars of your train will disconnect and hook up with a locomotive for the trip up to Springfield. Because the Springfield to New Haven Shuttles are psuedo commuter trains so they run just between New Haven and Springfield so deleys are less then the LD's.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This trrain does not split, #476 is a separate 2 car train that will be across the platform in NHV. Very easy connection.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trains north to Hartford wait for the train to Boston to arrive at New Haven. No cafe car to Hartford, but when I rode it the other day they had the air conditioning set on "arctic winter." Bring a sweater. The air conditioning on the Acela was set at "arctic."

On the train to Boston, we were delayed leaving Stamford because some "smart person" pulled the emergency stop lever. He was on the wrong train and he didn't want the train to pull out of the station with him on it. The conductor was annoyed. The dispatcher was REALLY annoyed--I was listening to my scanner. We were jamming up the station at morning rush. The man was lucky--there were no cops on the platform.

I was talking with a young man when I rode the Metro-North line from Stamford to Grand Central last Wednesday. He said that Amtrak didn't own the line between New York and New Haven, Connecticut did. This was confirmed by a sign I saw in the right-of-way in New Haven (southbound on a Hartford to Stamford trip) indicating the end of Amtrak control. The man said that the same situation existed in new Jersey.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page