RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My Dream Trip...Coming Up! XCountry

Author Topic: My Dream Trip...Coming Up! XCountry
MdmMim
Member # 2355

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MdmMim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, gang, I have my tickets in hand, and I am ready for a trip I've been dreaming about for years! This will take place in November.

I will leave from NYC, and head to CHI on the Lakeshore Limited. Later that day, I'll board the SWC and travel to LAX. Then my final destination will be ANA. I have a sleeper reserved for the LSL and SWC.

I would truly appreciate any tips/suggestions any of you may have.

...And I just can't wait!!
Thank you!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see that you've been planning this trip for a year. That's preparation! Also, that you've not had much experience in a superliner? If that's the case you've got new experiences in store: roomette, lounge, diner. Do you get to come home on the train as well? I think originally you had planned to leave from Albany; it's good that you've included the trip up the Hudson, altho I'm sure you've done that a bunch of times already. It's a good trip, and your excitement will be rewarded.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on your upcoming dream trip, once onboard your adventure begins. As you pass through cities and towns you will be served up with both the best and worst views they have to offer. The panorama of rural America will show itself to be worthy of the songs and poems written about Her. Along your route you will probably be late but as Mr Kisor recently stated thats free time on the train. Since you have a sleeper you will be liberated from the cattle car conditions of todays air travel. The only real tips I can offer is to set your mind free because this adventure will be both everything and nothing that you envision. Oh yeah dont forget to tip.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many suggestions to offer, but I'll give one of my favorites:

Do you like ice cream? If so, when you arrive into ABQ on the Southwest Chief, chances are you will be early (or at least on-time). This is a service stop for the train, so you will have at least 45 minutes---probably more. Here is what you do: Step off the train and walk towards the street (it will be obvious which direction the street is). When you get out to the street, turn right and walk about one block. As you are walking, look on the opposite side of the street (left side) for a shop on the corner that has a clock above the doors. This is Coldstone Creamery! Go inside and get yourself a treat. If you're feeling up to it, get something for your sleeper attendant also. I always do this, and it goes over very well. The total time it will take you to walk from the door of your train to the door of the Coldstone Creamery is a maximum of 90 seconds. Have a great trip!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MdmMim
Member # 2355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MdmMim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TBlack--I have been planning for a year, and finally will have the chance to take this trip. Unfortunately, $ dictates that I fly home, otherwise on the return, I would have gone up to the Northwest and then headed back east. (Maybe someday...) The Superliner will be a new experience for me, having only been in the Viewliner.

Cubzo--This will definitely be a real adventure for me. I've never been to the southwest, and I can hardly stand the excitement! I won't forget to tip--the car attendants work very hard. I feel bad for them when there are high maintenance people on board, always calling for them.

Smitty195--Yes, I do like ice cream. And I just might go for that cone!

Thank you all!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep your camera on your lap ready to shoot at all times. I missed some great shots of the Amtrak yards while leaving LAX. It'll be light out as you arrive, so you have a chance at some good shots. There were a lot of storms when we went. We got some amazing panoramic views of the plains and dramatic storms.

Take plenty to read and maybe an MP3 player or DVD player (but please use headphones). There are some stretches on the SWC route that are pretty devoid of scenery. As Cubzo said, best and worst of America. While going through NM, watch for the multi-million dollar homes next to shacks with no doors (people actually live in these, look for "signs of life"). Also look for homes that are now shacks but were clearly once very expensive.

Make sure when in Chicago to drop your luggage in the Metropolitan lounge and spend some time in the Great Hall. Union Station in Chi is very busy and chaotic. Union Station in LA is pretty cool too. Very busy also, but we were there on a Saturday and a holiday, so it wasn't too bad. Also when in Albuquerque take a few minutes to look over the jewelry being sold by the local tribes. NM has a law that they can only sell what they make themselves. The stuff is dirt cheap and makes great gifts. We can't get it that cheap from the Wisconsin tribes. You can also watch them fuel up the train and maybe change engines. Lots of rail fans with cameras walking around.

Be prepared to roll with the train when sleeping, especially if you sleep on your side like me. That takes a little getting used to.

Take a power strip/surge protector if you use any electronics on board. Power fluctuates a lot on the train.

Don't be afraid to ask the attendants questions. They seem to really enjoy talking the passengers and sharing their knowledge and experiences. Talking to the attendants was one of the highlights of our trip.

Most of all, just enjoy and soak up the experience. Have a great time!

--------------------
Chuck

“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I might add another tip, when here in SoCal a recomended rail side trip would be to take the surfliner to either San Diego or Santa Barbara. Both destination has great scenery and the Amtrak depots are a short walk to great sight seeing and great public transportation.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MdmMim
Member # 2355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MdmMim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I leave in a few hours! I can hardly contain myself! I'll report back upon my return.

Thank you for all your suggestions!

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip! Don't for the Coldstone Creamery in ABQ. [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The suggestions about bringing music are good ones. You can listen and look out window.

In Chicago, Greektown has great moussaka!
Or walk down to the lake (other direciton) if you have time.

Have a wonderful trip.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Mdm is en route now, but to put my few cents in... I took this trip in reverse about 2 yrs ago. I rode coach the entire way...not advisable...LOL. nearly 4 days in coach. I didn't sleep much the first few nights...but on the last night between CHI and NYC, I could have slept standing up. I missed everything scenic with the exception of waking up briefly in Buffalo. We were several hrs late, so even if I were awake...there would have been no Hudson River Valley to see. I HAVE to try this trip again with a sleeper! Weather seems to cause delays this time a yr though...snow in Kansas caused the SWC to be 4 hrs late into CHI....we almost missed the connection to the Lake Shore Limited....and then the LSL was delayed 5 hrs due to snow flurries over the Great Lakes.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page