RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Fruit stand

Author Topic: Fruit stand
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help!!! I am trying to tell a friend about a station stop in Colorado where there is time to get off the train and buy fresh fruit. I simply cannot remember which stop it is. Maybe Granby or Glenwood Springs. They also had a small gift shop. Does it still exist and if so WHERE? Thanks
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whistler
Member # 2620

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for whistler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grand Junction... IIRC... at least there is a gift shop and time to wander around. I was there in the fall and don't recall a fruit stand<shrug>.

--------------------
Paul E Larson

Posts: 34 | From: Camillus NY USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grand Junction.

I bought over-the-counter cold meds there in April 2006 when I managed to contract this horrendous sinus thing aboard the westbound Zephyr. The day through Colorado was bad but the next day was worse.....I contemplated jumping ship in Sacramento instead of riding all the way to Emeryville.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot. I knew someone would come through
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's Grand Junction all right. We still have the little "genuine gold" foil in a bottle souvenir trinket we bought there. I remember remarking on how adroit the owner(s) of that little store were in managing to take care of what seemed like the entire trainload of people in like a minute and a half!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was disappointed, on my eastbound Zephyr this past spring, to find that the fruit stand was virtually out of almost everything! Maybe it was too early in the season. I then went into the shop inside in search of ice cream, but they had nothing good. They did have some interesting old used paperbacks, but another train passenger bought all the good ones.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fruit from the Grand Valley - where GJ is - is marvelous. If you are stopping there in season: peaches, plums, apricots, cherries. Great stuff from Palisade, and Fruita. Much of the orchards gone to vineyards now.

I lived there for some years in the 90s.

Oh - and great corn from Delta County. Doesn't get much farther than Denver usually. Yummy off the cob uncooked.

Makes me wanna jump on the pony and head across the mountains...

Oh - and good train watching there too.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, TrainLady, I'll surely look for the fruit in Grand Junction. Since it will be Sept., I might get lucky with the produce.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dixiebreeze

Was there last Feb. (2007). Cold and snow showers but the fruit stand was open --- did not have a huge selection but did have fruit. Gift shop was crowded but in full "tourist" mode.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The owner is a retired railroad employee. Before Amtrak went to Simplified Dining, the chef would usually buy some fresh fruit and veggies to add to his personalized recipe of the meals. That sure doesn't happen any more.

The "gift shop" is pretty small---don't be expecting anything big. There are a few shelves that are sparsely stocked with "tourist junk" and camera batteries. IIRC, my pack of 4 Duracell batteries was close to $10. They can smell the toursists coming. [Smile]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can buy batteries for just $5 in the snack bar on the Zephyr. Still overpriced, but not quite as bad.

I always bring some extra batteries along on trips.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page