RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Renovations to Chicago Union Station

Author Topic: Renovations to Chicago Union Station
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just returned from our Pittsburgh to L.A. train trip and were surprised to see renovations underway at Chicago Union Station. The public areas seemed to be getting new ceilings and lighting, carpet and seats. The horrible public restrooms were being completely gutted and replaced. More chairs are needed in the Metropolitan Lounge, it appears that it could handle another 50 seats easily in the open spaces so people don't have to sit on the floor in the busy summer season.

On other notes, the Capitol Limited had their Sleepers in the front, the Southwest Chief were in the rear (turned two different directions) Car 330 on the Chief lost its air conditioning by Kansas City in the upstairs Roomettes. They moved people if possible, seemed to be by the age of the passenger (older relocated first) My son and I sweated it out, there wasn't even room in coach or the lounge. It was kinda fixed at Albuquerque. Staff said it is a common occurance for equipment supposedly serviced in Chicago.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Hall - that must be the same SWC consist we had on our vacation trip last year -- the a/c in the sleepers on that train also went out by shortly after KCY.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your report. I will be taking the Capitol and Chief out to the LA area in early September. Hopefully the AC difficulties will be fixed by then.

How were the on-board service crews ?

Also, this will be only my second experience with the new food-prep system. In general, what was the food quality like ?

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The on-board sleeper attendants on the Chief (Victor and Tom) were excellent, dining car attendants were good. The Capitol Ltd. was badly short-staffed at breakfast and they kept apologizing. The food was okay, I saw several things sent back as they were still "cold." People grumbled that you couldn't get an egg or toast at breakfast, although toast has been gone for several years.

Our return trip from L.A. to PGH was cancelled as we had to fly back, as my wife was admitted to the hospital. We stayed one night and had breakfast on Hollywood Blvd. before traveling to LAX. Looking at the "Fun Box" $5 on U.S. Airways, and the $ 5 "Fruit and Cheese Box" I guess the Amtrak food wasn't so bad.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page