RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trails and Rails?

Author Topic: Trails and Rails?
climbguy
Member # 5879

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for climbguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking at taking my first x-country train trip. Will be using AGR points and cashing in 30,000 for a 2-zone bedroom taking the following trains: SDL-WAS, WAS-CHI, CHI-PDX, PDX-LAX. I plan on booking a cash ticket from NOL-SDL. My main question is the dates I am looking at are before memorial day so it is my understanding that trails and rails will not have started yet. How interesting is this program and is a guide book just has good?

Also, Any other information anyone can think of that I should know about the trip would be great. I have taken Amtrak a lot in the NEC but never on an LD train.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's the same trip I'm considering! [Smile] How hard did you have to twist their arm to route you through PDX instead of directly to LAX on the Southwest Chief?

Trails and Rails is really hit or miss. I've been on the Southwest Chief where all they did was read off the script (and monotonically at that!!!) The trails and rails program on the Sunset Limited was more entertaining and informative.
Too bad Richard isn't working on the Coast Starlight any more. The trails and rails folks actually borrowed information from his presentation for theirs!

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climbguy
Member # 5879

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for climbguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulB:
Wow, that's the same trip I'm considering! [Smile] How hard did you have to twist their arm to route you through PDX instead of directly to LAX on the Southwest Chief?

The way it has been explained to me by people at the AGR forum on flyertalk (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=399)and AGR agents on the phone is that you can book any routing that appears on Arrow. From what I have found this means that what ever you can find on Amtrak.com can be booked with AGR. By booking out of SDL rather than NOL I can take the Crescent and the Capitol Limited and all I have to do is book a $10 coach ticket from NOL to SDL.

On the trails and rails front you mention the "sheet" is there anyway to get a copy of it or if i read Rail Ventures am I basically covered? I don't plan on going on a trip like this again in the near future so I want to make sure I go at the right time of year.

Also, any other information I should know would be great.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the time there is no "sheet" for the passengers. It's just a script that the volunteer reads off of. Sometimes they have little flyers for landmarks along the way, but that is increasingly rare.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An easy way is to get the book Rail Ventures. Your library probably has it if you don't want to buy it. Then simply make a copy of the pages that explain the route(s) you are taking. Clip it together and it will fit inside your carry on. Then you can follow along as much as you want.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climbguy
Member # 5879

Rate Member
I have the book but it is from 1992, while I understand rock formations don't change munch it still doesn't seem very current. If I have Rail Ventures will I be missing anything if I travel when they don't have trails and rails?
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
climbguy -

I have found the rail route guides here to be helpful -

http://www.trainweb.com/routes/index.html

I have printed them out prior to the first time I took a route and packed into my carry on for that and subsequent trips.

Enjoy your rail adventure !!

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go to Amtrak.com and click on route, then the train you want you can download their route guide. then if you print it out you are all set.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am slowly putting my own "route guides" on my web site, railroadrich.com. So far, the only route guides I have posted are VAC-SEA, CHI-CIN, and MTR-NYP, but there are more coming.

Concerning "Rail Ventures," I believe the author of that guide, somebody Swanson (Jack?), has died, so the most current version is the one which came out probably 10 years ago (don't remember the exact year, since that is at home, and I am at the office now!!)

If you can find a nearby university with a geology library, back in the early 20th century (1905-1930 or so), the USGS published several very detailed railroad geology guidebooks for some of the western routes which are still in use by AMTRAK -- the series was called "Guidebook to the Western United States," and all are now out-of-print, but several are available on line at the USGS web site.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Trails and Rails going out on the Empire Builder last May before Memorial Day--it was around May 15. And it wasn't even a weekend. We had them for Glacier Park AND the next day into Seattle (not the Portland branch), although for the latter there was no observation car (it goes with the Portland branch). While it's definitely hit or miss, I think your best chance of getting them is on the Empire Builder.

Some of them are great (the Glacier Park one was last year); some good; and occasionally one or two not so great. One time on the Zephyr I had a guy in the mining business who spent the whole time telling us how there would soon be drilling for oil in all these gorgeous places in Colorado we were going through. I definitely didn't feel the same way about it that he did!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page