RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Windsor-Detroit

Author Topic: Windsor-Detroit
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are planing a trip from Toronto (Via Rail-Amtrak) to MSP, with an overnight stay in Windsor. Does anyone know how we would be able to get from Windsor to the Amtrak station in Detroit in time to catch the 7:20am Wolverine to CHI?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An early morning taxicab............
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, there are much easier ways to do it than trying to cab across the border. I'd cab from your hotel to the Tunnel Bus terminal in downtown Windsor, take the bus across the border, and then either cab or bus to the Amtrak station, which is right off Woodward Avenue, a major bus route in Detroit.
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rresor:
No, there are much easier ways to do it than trying to cab across the border. I'd cab from your hotel to the Tunnel Bus terminal in downtown Windsor, take the bus across the border, and then either cab or bus to the Amtrak station, which is right off Woodward Avenue, a major bus route in Detroit.

That's the way I've done it a couple of times and works quite well. Cab all the way can get expensive and not every company crosses the border: Here's the Tunnel Bus Schedule:

http://www.citywindsor.ca/DisplayAttach.asp?AttachID=8591

http://www.citywindsor.ca/DisplayAttach.asp?AttachID=1344

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, didn't know about the "Tunnel Bus."
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information. [Smile] We have decided to stay in the Ramada Plaza Hotel, which is less than a block from the tunnel bus stop. Then take a cab from downtown Detroit to the Amtrak station. Looking at the map it's not that far, so cab shouldn't cost that much.
Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add some detail for anyone else who wants to make the connection:

1) There is a Windsor city bus that runs right from the VIA station in Walkerville into downtown Windsor and right past the tunnel bus station.

2) The tunnel buses run all the time. Don't recall the fare but it's not much. Detroit terminal is right off of Woodward, IIRC, which makes it easy to get buses to anywhere in the city (or of course you can cab).

I've done this twice, once in the late 70s from an Amtrak turbo to a VIA Tempo in mid-afternoon, and once in the 90s from a VIA LRC to a hotel out in Birmingham, MI prior to an excursion to Petoskey. It still worked.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do the authorities on both the Canadian and U.S. sides handle immigration checks with the tunnel bus?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
W just did the trip. Toronto - Windsor, VIA Rail. Then Amtrak to MSP via CHI. Great time, allthough I have to admit VIA Rail has it well over Amtrak.
Took the tunnel bus into Detroit, we had to get off the bus, with luggage. Went inside, they asked where we going; Saint Croix Falls Wisconsin and do we have anything to declair, we said no and they said next person.
I took more time to get the luggage on and off the bus than to go through customs.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page