RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Spring Break Trip on the Texas Eagle - N or S?

Author Topic: Spring Break Trip on the Texas Eagle - N or S?
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Travelling with my family, we may fly one way and train the other. Just wondered in late March if there's an advantage (scenery wise or other) to taking it northbound or southbound?
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're looking to travel between Chicago-land and San Antonio, I'd be inclined to fly to Texas and take the train back.....

Southbound 21 rarely makes it to San Antonio before midnight whereas with an Illinois arrival you could be several hours late and still get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Besides, if the train is the reason for the trip then you have saved the best mode for last.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With an on-time Eagle, roughly the same areas are in darkness on both north- and south-bound trains, so there's no difference there.

So I'd agree with David on the rest of the points.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Late March: pre daylight time. Approximately near the equinox. so daylight 6:00 am to 6:00 pm on the more easterly parts, say Chicago to Little Rock and creeping later maybe 15 to 20 minutes say Dallas to San Antonio. (US Central Time is based on true solar time on the 90 degree line which passes through Memphis.) So, based on the current schedule, effective August 8, which may or may not be about the same as the schedule next March:

Southbound:
Daylight:
Chicago to about Carlinville IL
Texarkana to about Taylor TX
Dark the rest of it, so St. Louis, Austin, San Antonio in the dark.

Northbound:
Daylight:
San Antonio to about Longview TX
1.5 hours before St. Louis to Chicago
Dark across Arkansas and part of Missouri.

You get much more daylinght on the train northbound. Just simply the 7:00 am departure northbound and the 1:45 pm departure southbound should tell you that. I would also say you get more interesting territory in daylight northbound, in that you get the hills around Austin and the eastern portions of the Ozarks in the early morning before arriving St. Louis, plus running almost on the banks of the Mississippi in approach to St. L.

Also, northbound if the train is late that gives you more miles in daylight. Southbound if the train is late, that gives you more miles in the dark.

I would go for the train northbound.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good information. Thank you very much!
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page