RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Thruway connection in Raton, NM

Author Topic: Thruway connection in Raton, NM
SubwayNut
Member # 3948

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SubwayNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've moved out to Colorado Springs since the last time I posted on this board (probably over two years ago), and am planning a quick weekend trip down to Santa Fe, NM.

My original plan was simply to take greyhound down and back, until I decided to check Amtrak and noticed a very cheep fair of only $43 one way from Lamy, NM (can't book the door to door shuttle in santa fe at all for some strange reason, and have all the connections guaranteed, spent 20 minutes on the phone with a very friendly reservations lady) via Raton, NM on the SW chief and onto the thruway connection back up to Colorado Springs. All faster and cheeper than greyhound (have to take it all the way down though, have stuff until noon on friday.) and an amazing 400 gw points (i assume I get for the 100 per leg min + the double promotion, for a thruway bus as well) under my belt!

My question though is if the SW chief is late will the bus which is simply a connection to greyhound wait for the chief (its only an 8 minute scheduled layover, I realize the connection is guaranteed, but what will happen to me if Amtrak's really late, I need to be back in the springs by 9 friday morning for some important business), and has anyone done this transfer before?

--------------------
Visit my trains and subways website: www.subwaynut.com (It has more then just subways!)

Posts: 38 | From: Manhattan, NY/Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to ride the Southwest Chief and the bus connection between Denver and Lamy quite frequently. The bus is Greyhound (actually, it's TNM&O, a subsidiary) and the run starts in Raton. It may have non-Amtrak passengers on it, but you have a guaranteed connection and seat. If the train is late, the bus is supposed to wait. TNM&O treats the run as one of their normal bus runs. I never had any problem and I made the trip every other weekend for six months.

A couple of years ago I read a post, I think on this board, about someone who was stuck in Raton on a cold night because the train was LATE and the bus had left. I expect that doesn't happen very often. Someone else may have better information.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know about the bus waiting for the train but in April I was on the west bound Chief and we waited for the bus in Raton for 50 minutes and still got to LAX on time.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SubwayNut
Member # 3948

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SubwayNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good, I'll be buying my ticket on it (also noticed that there's a middle of the night run if worse comes to worse.)

--------------------
Visit my trains and subways website: www.subwaynut.com (It has more then just subways!)

Posts: 38 | From: Manhattan, NY/Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page