RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » How to get there by train (Los Angeles area)

Author Topic: How to get there by train (Los Angeles area)
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister is bugging me to take her to a taping of America's Next Top Band or whatever that new show is called. Not because she likes the show but by doing so she gets priority seating for American Idol...one of her favorite shows. I guess not too many people want to see this new band show.

She doesn't drive, and I do. So being the good big brother I probably should take her because she really loves American Idol. I drove her last year to American Idol which was pretty cool to see in person...and since it's a live to the east show I got to see the bloopers the west coast never sees. Not sure about this Band show, I think it's taped.

But the show is broadcast/tapped at CBS Television City, where the Price is Right is taped, and the same place American Idol was broadcast from. It's very near the famous Farmers Market and the newer Grove shopping center. But getting there is not the most fun drive from where we live (Anaheim Hills). 91-5-10 and some LA surface streets is the typical way to get there. Parking is easiest at the Grove...but at $20.00 mass trans seems to be fairly economical. So I'm wondering if there is a way we can use mass transportation to get there.

Getting to Union Station is the easy part. Amtrak's Surfliner or even Metrolink can get us this far. But after Union, getting close to the Grove/CBS is another thing. I've taken the Red Line and the Blue Line a few times, but I'm pretty sure they don't come close to CBS city. How about a subway/bus connection? Other option? I'm not too familiar with the new modes in Los Angeles...such as the newer express buses.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way I can avoid that dreaded drive if I can?

The show begins taping at 4:30PM (Wed Oct 31). So we're looking at a later departure on Halloween no less. Which could mean no more bus connections.

In my 1996 Thomas Guide, CBS Television City can be found on Los Angeles County map page 633 (B1).

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
metro.net, they have a trip planner use union station and the grove as landmarks.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know "Idol" was taped at CBS! It's one of my favorite shows. I just assumed they were at Universal or Warner Brothers. CBS...wow. Whoda thunk it?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack_S
Member # 3069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack_S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a bit late, I hope not too late. Remember that your Metrolink ticket will serve as a Day Pass on all MTA buses and subways. I have tken the bus service from the Red Line Subway on Sunset, Santa Monica, and Wilshire. They work fine. One of them should get you close.

Jack

--------------------
Jack

Posts: 13 | From: Anaheim, CA Orange | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack_S
Member # 3069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack_S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is probably too late but what the heck.

From Union Ststion take the Red Line Subway to Vermont and Beverly. Then hop on the #14 bus with a front sign reading "Beverly/La Cienega".

Should be at the NE or NW corner, check the signs. The Express Bus #714 also stops there but it isn't any faster and the walk at the CBS end is longer.

A round trip Metrolink ticket will serve as a Day Pass on the subway and bus in LA. I don't know about AmTrak.

The schedule for returning via Metrolink may be your biggest problem. You could drive into Fullerton and park there, giving you more train options on both Metrolink and AmTrak.

Jack

--------------------
Jack

Posts: 13 | From: Anaheim, CA Orange | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page