RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ex-Santa Fe cars in storage?

Author Topic: Ex-Santa Fe cars in storage?
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious, does Amtrak still have those old Santa Fe hi-level cars in storage? Couldn't they be put back into the mix to help deal with the equipment shortage?

[This message has been edited by vthokie (edited 05-04-2002).]

Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of them are currently operating as Pacific Parlor Cars on the Coast Starlight. They are refurbished lounge cars. I believe some of the coaches are also used on the Heartland Flyer. Any other cars not currently in service are probably in a state of disrepair.
The big problem of car shortage is with sleeping cars & to a lesser extent diners. The coach situation is not as critical. The former Hi-Level cars didn't include any sleepers, there were coaches, diners & lounges. The diners have a very small galley, seat only about half the passengers of a Superliner, are probably the heaviest cars currently on the rails & have six wheel trucks.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not positive, but I belive there is still a large population of Hi-Level coaches/coach dorms in the Los Angeles yards. Of course none have received any maintenence or care for quite some time. Too bad, not the way these historic cars should end their life. The few that have been refurbished (Coast Starlight and Heartland flyer were certainly the lucky cars.
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfcajon
Member # 1451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfcajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Southwest Chief:
There are no ex Santa Fe Hi-Levels being stored at Amtrak's 8th St yard in LA. There only the occasional Pacific Parlor cars in for routine maintenance as you mentioned.

Posts: 13 | From: Downey CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sfcajon,
Thanks for the info. By the way, cool username.

Where did they all go? True, I haven't been to the LA yards for about ten years, but I thought some Hi-Levels were stored there. Are they for sale? Are they in Beach Grove? Come to think of it, I remember reading in (I think, Rail Travel News) that American Orient Express bought some to turn into sleepers. Am I way off again or is this true?

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandy32
Member # 1639

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandy32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost each time I would ride the International in the Winter, at least one ex-Santa Fe High-liner coach was on it. In 1999, one on the train had just been refurbished. Unfortuneately, though, I have heard that the toilets were on a waiver from the EPA on these cars, and that the waivers expired. This due to the "direct dump" onto the tracks. I would think that, with the Amtrak financial problems, and the state of the economy, the waivers could get extended.

Posts: 7 | From: DeKalb, Illinois,USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ex Santa-Fe hi-level cars were offered for sale a few months back. I'm unsure who - if anyone - bought them, but it very possibly was American Orient Express as Southwest Chief suggested. Seems like the cars were reserved for some special (non-Amtrak) project and the buyer was not identified.

Otherwise, the Pacific Parlour cars remain on the Coast Starlight, along with a handful of rebuilt coaches on the Heartland Flyer. All others - including the diners and the one hi-level lounge not currently in parlour service - were those put up for sale.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 9 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, earth to Bandy, earth to Bandy...

EPA is an independent agency in the Executive Branch of the US Government.

Amtrak is a Federal Corporation. Beyond it's Congressional ?support?, it's supposed to act just like any other business.

Now, if the US Army (and I have 20+ years experience with them) cannot get an EPA waiver, how do you think Amtrak will??????

Coffee's on, come smell it!

John

quote:
Originally posted by bandy32:
Unfortuneately, though, I have heard that the toilets were on a waiver from the EPA on these cars, and that the waivers expired. This due to the "direct dump" onto the tracks. I would think that, with the Amtrak financial problems, and the state of the economy, the waivers could get extended.

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page