RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » q about spokane

Author Topic: q about spokane
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wondered if anyone knows the following about the train station in Spokane:

(a) Is it relatively safe to wait there in the middle of the night (for a female traveling alone)? It seemed like it would be when I stopped, but I wanted to check.

(b) Can one leave luggage at the station without checking it if one arrives in the morning or afternoon? Is the station manned all day?

(c) Is the station the same location as the bus terminal? My info says it is, but I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks so much!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Morris
Member # 5347

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Morris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from Spokane, and have traveled from and to what we call the "Intermodal Center", as this building handles both Amtrak and intercity bus. There is security personnel when trains and busses are scheduled to arrive, and the building is open 24/7. As far as ticket counters are concerned, they're only open at certain times of the day, namely when bus and train traffic arrives and departs. As far as I know, you cannot leave any baggage in the building without checking it (I may be wrong on this one, but that's been my impression), as there are no lockers available. One other tidbit of info to pass along. If you do get hungry, there is a teriyaki place inside the building on the 2nd floor, that also serves a great breakfast. Not too terribly expensive, either. Hope this information is helpful.
Posts: 23 | From: Spokane, WA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Rick. If you happen to be in the station and find out more about left baggage, let me know. Sacramento, for example, has a left luggage facility even though there are no lockers--you can pay a small fee and leave it with the guy who also checks baggage for the trains, and he will store it in the little room in which he keeps the checked baggage before bringing it to the trains, and you can pick it up before you board, as long as you return at least 1/2 hour before the train departure (because after that I think he gets busy getting checked baggage onto the train). However, there is a lot of train traffic there, so he is open quite a bit--your post suggests Spokane has shorter ticketing and checked baggage hours.

Meanwhile I will try phoning Amtrak for into; but in several cases I have not been able to get accurate local luggage info over the phone, which is why I ask.

Thanks for the food rec too. By any chance, is there a hotel you recommend right nearby, where I could overnight if need be? Or where perhaps I could leave luggage for a small fee? A few hotels let you do that even if you are not a guest; Hotel Vancouver in Vancouver, BC, for instance.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught the Portland section of the Empire Builder from Spokane in the wee hours several summers ago. Rick is spot-on in that there is security at the station......at least during the night. The buses do arrive and depart from the same building. The little restaurant on the second floor provided an interesting hot meal before my train left at 3-something-am.

Best answer on the stored luggage question is to call the agent at Spokane.....they may still be there first thing in the morning for us eastern time zone people......and ask. I've had decent luck storing luggage at several Amtrak stations while I sightsee between trains. Usually a matter of a few bucks and asking.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Morris
Member # 5347

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Morris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few hotels and motels in the downtown area. Depends on how much you want to spend. Days Inn, on 3rd Ave. is a good choice. Just 3 blocks south of the station. We do have, if you have some extra money to blow, The Davenport Hotel. Which is on the very pricey side. BTW, yes, the ticket counter is only open certain hours. I believe they open around 10:30 P.M. and close around 5 A.M.
Posts: 23 | From: Spokane, WA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page