RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » CSX "S" line question

Author Topic: CSX "S" line question
tarheelman
Member # 6095

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarheelman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks--

Does anyone know if the CSX "S" line could be purchased by the states of VA, NC, SC, and GA jointly? If so, maybe they could use the proposed federal matching funds to help finance both the rebuilding of abandoned areas and the upgrading of existing areas so that the line is suitable for high speed rail.

I ask this because it's my understanding that the remaining (i.e., not abandoned) areas of this line have very little freight traffic. Therefore, they could be purchased from CSX (along with the ROW in abandoned areas, of course) without much adverse impact on the flow of CSX's freight traffic.

Once purchased, the line could be leased to Amtrak and improved using Amtrak's track maintenance crews. This would give Amtrak a dedicated high speed passenger line from Richmond to Savannah, thus eliminating their need to use CSX's crowded "A" line south of Richmond.

Posts: 100 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tarheelman,

There has certainly been talk of the states buying and rehabbing the 'S' line north of Raleigh for use as part of a high speed passenger rail corridor from the northeast to Charlotte. The track is still in place as far as Norlina, NC but parts are in very poor shape.

I'm certain that there has been speculation, at least behind closed doors, by the states (NC at least) about buying the rest of it and rehabbing the line.

You're thinking makes alot of sense actually.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarheelman
Member # 6095

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarheelman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Hi Tarheelman,

There has certainly been talk of the states buying and rehabbing the 'S' line north of Raleigh for use as part of a high speed passenger rail corridor from the northeast to Charlotte. The track is still in place as far as Norlina, NC but parts are in very poor shape.

I'm certain that there has been speculation, at least behind closed doors, by the states (NC at least) about buying the rest of it and rehabbing the line.

You're thinking makes alot of sense actually.

David, I'm glad that NC (and hopefully the other states, too) is at least thinking about buying and rebuilding/upgrading the "S" line---that's definitely a step in the right direction. Now all we need is someone with both the ability and the authority to do something about this who is willing to step up to the plate and make it happen. [Smile]
Posts: 100 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page